Saint Andrews surf fishing advice needed

Free103015

I’m a newbie to fishing off the beach. I gave it a try today at Saint Andrews beach. I took a left from the parking lot and walked down a ways. It was an incoming tide. I was using a double drop rig with a 3 Oz sinker and 1/0 Aberdeen hooks. Shelled dead shrimp bought fresh a couple of days ago is what I was using for bait.

Stayed out a couple of hours with not a single bite. What am I doing wrong? I know it’s called fishing and not catching, but I expected at least a nibble lol.

twtabb

Try around the jetties. I have seen bull reds caught there. We have caught Spanish on straw rigs off that sand bar.

WalkinDead

Banned
The slope of the bottom at St. Andrews is great for shrimping, but not so much for fishing. When we fish there we go all the way down the beach to the green marker at Jekyll Point where the channel swings in by the beach and you can cast out into deep water easily. If you go down there, you need to know that you may be trapped behind the trees on the shoreline until the tide goes out far enough to allow you to walk back down the beach; otherwise you have to take the path through the woods.
I really prefer to fish the north beach by the pier, you can cast out into deep water there easily also.

Free103015

The slope of the bottom at St. Andrews is great for shrimping, but not so much for fishing. When we fish there we go all the way down the beach to the green marker at Jekyll Point where the channel swings in by the beach and you can cast out into deep water easily. If you go down there, you need to know that you may be trapped behind the trees on the shoreline until the tide goes out far enough to allow you to walk back down the beach; otherwise you have to take the path through the woods.
I really prefer to fish the north beach by the pier, you can cast out into deep water there easily also.

Thanks for the advice! I think I’ll try north beach.

twtabb

Is there a pier on the beach side? They got a inch of money to fix up the park from storm