Sand Fleas for sheepshead

Seanote

Has anyone used sand fleas for sheepshead? I have never used them, but it would seem they would be good, How about frozen? It looks like that may be all I can get next week.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Have not used them.

Take some fish bites for backup?

Watching...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I guess fleas could work, but I would try to get fiddlers, or razorclams first...

Never heard of fleas for sheeps, but I have tried brined and frozen fiddlers, and they worked ok, but were hard to use due to being "mushy".

Curious how this turns out!!!

jNick

I doubt it’ll work. Maybe if you mash up a bunch and get them in a frenzy.

I’d buy some canned raw oysters.....and bring some hot sauce and crackers for sum myself.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I doubt it’ll work. Maybe if you mash up a bunch and get them in a frenzy.

I’d buy some canned raw oysters.....and bring some hot sauce and crackers for sum myself.

That works too, but you only get one shot at him... ?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Does anyone know where you can buy fiddlers around the Brunswick or Darien area?

Don't know about Darien, but there are so many places around Brunswick/Jekyll/SSI that you can just catch em' yourself that bait shops don't bother trying to keep them...

Seanote

It is almost impossible to dig them this time of year as they go very deep. They won't come to the surface until it is 80 degrees. No one in Savannah has them as it has been too cold in Florida.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I’ve caught a couple off of frozen fleas from Walmart. Fresh shrimp is a better option IMO

Redbow

Sand Fleas will catch a variety of fish including Sheepshead. I prefer Fiddler Crabs myself but live shrimp is good also. A good fresh piece of very fresh shrimp will work but other fish will get that first at every opportunity. I have caught many species of fish with Fiddler Crabs just about anything will bite them including Flounder at times.

Barnacles off the pier pilings will work for Sheepshead. Scrap off a good supply of them wrap a few barnacles in a wad with a good strong thin thread hang a hook in there and let them down beside the piling, they will bite it if they are hungry.

Seanote

In Fl, live sand fleas are a frequently used bait for bandits. I am sure frozen would prove useless. I have used barnacles inshore in the past and was surprised at how effective they were.

Last edited:

perryrip

Has anyone used sand fleas for sheepshead? I have never used them, but it would seem they would be good, How about frozen? It looks like that may be all I can get next week.

Sand fleas are great sheepshead bait. I've caught many a sheepshead using them as bait.