Satellite phones

Angel Eyes

Will be fishing out of Darien Ga. in a 28 foot sea hunt and going to the snapper banks, navy towers and possibly Gulf Stream. Any recommendations on satellite phones just in case. Safety first since I will be new at this. Thanks

jfish

for a cheaper version i would look into garmin inreach. works great you can txt with it via satellite. cheaper than full sat phone.

blake2268

The garmin inreach might be a good option for you as jfish said, A personal locator beacon is another option, it doesn't have the 2 way messaging ability but it doesn't require a subscription either. If you opt for a plb just be sure to register it when you receive it (registration is free) so that the authorities can contact your family if you have an emergency situation.

Angel Eyes

Thanks everyone for the information. Got a Garmin inreach mini for $350 and $15 month for subscription. Really like the reviews.

jfish

Works great. Have one myself in ditch bag. Also handheld vhf beside it. Along with two radios in boat. Emergency bilge pump/hose. Of course usual flares, pistol flares, electronic flare, knife, whistle, water, and orange flag. Sounds like alot until you need it.

Btw put extra fire ext on your boat. You may only require one but if you need it one will not work. I have several. Advice from a friend that had four on board. Fourth one saved them. Not saying keep four but you know what I mean.

fuelman1

Works great. Have one myself in ditch bag. Also handheld vhf beside it. Along with two radios in boat. Emergency bilge pump/hose. Of course usual flares, pistol flares, electronic flare, knife, whistle, water, and orange flag. Sounds like alot until you need it.

Btw put extra fire ext on your boat. You may only require one but if you need it one will not work. I have several. Advice from a friend that had four on board. Fourth one saved them. Not saying keep four but you know what I mean.

You got that right. You can't call 911 out there. Be prepared. The minimum required is exactly that. The minimum.