Satsuma orange

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I've got an interest in Satsuma oranges,and growing them. I think I'm too far north,but might plant some and try them.I just went to a couple of websites and they seem to be real pricey,anyone got any information on growing oranges, or buying plants.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Found this about someone in Statesboro growing them.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I've got an interest in Satsuma oranges,and growing them. I think I'm too far north,but might plant some and try them.I just went to a couple of websites and they seem to be real pricey,anyone got any information on growing oranges, or buying plants.
As warm as it is now, I bet you might have some success. Especially if you can protect them just enough during severe cold snaps to get them through. Let us know how it goes!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I have satsumas and meyer lemons in my yard and they do just fine... only 45 minutes or so south of Byron

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Found this about someone in Statesboro growing them.

Thanks Milkman,I watched this on Ga Farm Monitor when it was aired. This program got me thinking and I've seen some Satsumas growing about three counties below me. I'll probably try finding some plants for this coming winter.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks Milkman,I watched this on Ga Farm Monitor when it was aired. This program got me thinking and I've seen some Satsumas growing about three counties below me. I'll probably try finding some plants for this coming winter.

The local Lowe`s had some in Albany about 5 weeks ago. I haven`t been to town in close to a month now so I don`t know if they still do or not.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Ken, I would think you would do well with them and Meyer`s lemons where you live. I got three more in the ground here yesterday.
Yeah Nic I saw your post about that. Some of the family grow a few Meyer lemons,they carry them inside during the cold weather. I think I'll try a few of both,you never know if you don't try.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I have satsumas and meyer lemons in my yard and they do just fine... only 45 minutes or so south of Byron
I saw some growing off the exit for Ellis Pecans last year when I took some nuts down there. That's thirty minutes at the speed limit south of me. Thank you for your interest. If you've got more to say I'm certainly interested.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
As warm as it is now, I bet you might have some success. Especially if you can protect them just enough during severe cold snaps to get them through. Let us know how it goes!
You know I will. Thanks

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
It's always been a dream of mine to have citrus trees in the yard. I was planning on going to them, but it looks like they will have to come to me.

Check this gentleman out:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I just looked them up, and they're supposed to be hardy in zone 8. I might have to try a couple on my place in SC.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
It's always been a dream of mine to have citrus trees in the yard. I was planning on going to them, but it looks like they will have to come to me.

Check this gentleman out:

Very interesting and thought provoking. Using the warmth of the earth is genius. I appreciate your sharing this.

grouper throat

Try plant ant for wholesale quantities. There are some growers in south Alabama but check the restrictions on going state to state . Florida is a no-go for sure (citrus greening). Go for the dwarfing rootstocks that are a few degrees hardier, like flying dragon. These also are easier (shorter overall) to fit closer to your house (heat source) or under canopy for winter protection. If you are in zone 8b then I wouldn't worry about them except when young or if it dips below 20. We have random groves everywhere now in north florida.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Try plant ant for wholesale quantities. There are some growers in south Alabama but check the restrictions on going state to state . Florida is a no-go for sure (citrus greening). Go for the dwarfing rootstocks that are a few degrees hardier, like flying dragon. These also are easier (shorter overall) to fit closer to your house (heat source) or under canopy for winter protection. If you are in zone 8b then I wouldn't worry about them except when young or if it dips below 20. We have random groves everywhere now in north florida.
Thanks Grouper,I'll plan it out over the year, and put some in the ground this winter. I'm not going around folks much until conditions improve.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Off topic kinda, my grandad had lemon trees that produced and he lived in Anniston Alabama. Never a bumper crop but he did have lemon.