Saturday, 1/8, 10 a.m.: LEECHES on The Tying Bench!

Steve Hudson

Leeches are remarkably effective patterns for trout, bass and even (if you use the right materials) saltwater fly fishing!

I've had great luck with leech patterns not only on big browns and rainbows but on various bass species too. When tied on suitable hooks, they're excellent saltwater flies too!

This Saturday on The Tying Bench, we'll begin a two-part series on "Leeches Three Ways." There is never a charge for The Tying Bench, and all are welcome.

This Saturday we'll tie two of the three (the Yarn Leech and the Basic Bunny Leech); the third leech pattern, a more complicated pattern using the dubbing loop technique, will be in the spotlight the following Saturday on Jan. 15.

For this Saturday's patterns, here's what you'll need:

Hook: Streamer or Woolly Bugger hook, size 6. A 3XL hook is preferred.

Bead: A pink, gold or silver conehead. I like to use tungsten coneheads on these, as the weight helps get the flies get down deeper.

Thread: Black, size 3/0. Or choose a color to match the color scheme of your leech materials.

Weighting wire: Lead-free weighting wire, 0.025 or 0.03 size.

Tail of each fly: Straight-cut rabbit strip (see note on color below)

Body of Yarn Leech: Leech body yarn (see note on color below)

Body of Basic Bunny Leech version: Cross-cut (preferred) or straight-cut rabbit strip (see note on color below)

Flash: A few strands of flash material in a color that complements the tail/body combo.

NOTE ON COLOR OF BODY AND TAIL: Generally, when tying leeches, the tail and body should be the same color. Favorite colors are black, brown, purple or olive. Another possibility is to use "fire tiger" (orange and yellow) to tie a leech that imitates a baby brown trout. Also, all-white works well when you're specifically imitating shad.

Other materials and tools you'll want to have:
> Short section of a large-diameter plastic straw
> Small plastic pocket comb
> Dubbing brush
> Head cement (Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails)

I hope you can join me this Saturday morning!

ZOOM login for Leeches Three Ways, Part 1
Saturday, Jan. 8, at 10 a.m. Eastern
Meeting ID: 825 2715 0119
Passcode: FlyTying08 [case sensitive]