Saturday, Oct. 9: Learn to tie classic Deer Hair Beetles!

Steve Hudson

As we move into fall, fish start fattening up for the colder, leaner months to come – and one of the best ways for them to do that is to chow down on some beetles!

This Saturday (Oct. 9) on The Tying Bench, we’ll be tying a classic beetle imitation – the Deer Hair Beetle. We’ll look at the basic pattern as well as some variations that make it even more effective on the water.

We'll also talk about the "Elk Hair" version (which allows you to use an alternate material) and about the "Bucktail" version (another alternate material which many tyers like to use for very small beetles).

I'm sure that you’ll enjoy tying and fishing these neat beetle imitations, and I hope you can join in on Saturday morning to learn just how much fun they can be!

MATERIALS NEEDED TO TIE DEER HAIR BEETLES

Hook: Standard or 1XL dry fly hook, size 10-16 (or even 18). I suggest starting on size 12 or 14 while you’re learning how Deer Hair Beetles go together. But remember that beetles come in an astonishing range of sizes. I'll be tying on a size 12 hook on Saturday.
Tying beetles gives you a great excuse to pick up packs of hooks in several sizes and build your hook selection!

Thread: 3/0 black (or 6/0 for the small size 16 or 18 versions). Choose a strong thread, as you’ll be using it to cinch down bundles of hair.

Body (shell back): Deer hair suitable for beetle bodies. Color-wise, tyers typically go with natural, tan, brown or black.

Underbody: Peacock herl.

Alternate underbody: Black, brown or peacock dubbing.

Sight spot: Brightly-colored fabric paint. Suitable fabric paint is available in an array of colors from most craft supply shops.

OTHER THINGS YOU'LL WANT TO HAVE ON HAND:

1) Fine-pointed scissors
2) Head cement, ideally with a brush applicator. A bottle of clear Sally Hansen's Hard-As-Nails with a brush applicator is ideal. We will use this to "paint" the beetle's body shell, enhancing durability.

ZOOM LOGIN INFO:
Oct. 9 at 10 a.m. Eastern
Meeting ID - 826 5536 2578
Passcode - FlyTying09