Savage Anschutz Mark 12

Jester896

Senior Clown
Picked these up to play with. They are the small action, 2000 I think, single shot heavy barrel.
IMG_2321.jpg

Bluing is good with a few wear/handling marks

IMG_2319.jpg

I think these are Lyman sights...not 100% sure

IMG_2322.jpg
IMG_2323.jpg

The bolt lever has some pitting from use. The bolt comes apart to clean very easy.

IMG_2325.jpg

Even has the adjustable hand piece on it

IMG_2326.jpg

Cleaned the first one up some yesterday and it is in nice shape. I think it had Rig or something on it too. There is a small amount of lead fouling in the throat. Pretty sure it isn't erosion because the tool marks are still predominate around it. I keep getting something black out of it on dry patches. Looking at the entire length with the borescope is looks mighty fine in there. Looks smooth with light lapping marks still there. Not sure it was shot much. I need to find something to get lead out better. So far all I used was Montana's and Shooter Choice.

rayjay

I use a 20 cal Dewey coated rod and 22 bronze pistol brushes for cleaning the lead out. It's normal to have lead just ahead of the cartridge case. This is why BR shooters brush the bore after every target. Ballistol is what I use on my patches. I make my own bore guides.

I use Flitz patches to polish the chambers of all my rifles even the centerfires.

What makes or breaks a rimfire chamber is burrs on the lands left my the chambering reamer. Anschutz does an outstanding job of chambering on their high end guns but the lower end ones I don't know about. I have seen burrs in chambers done by well respected BR smiths so it's a common problem. These burrs tear off bits of bullet and then when this accumulation gets too big it gets carried away by a bullet. Needless to say, this bullet don't land anywhere near where the one before it did.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Thanks rayjay for your comments...I did run a nylon brush in it a little. I will get a bronze one I have some Kroil and may pick up some Balistrol. I do need a bore guide for it.

This certainly isn't the High End line but I can see a good finish in the bore. The chamber is odd with the tool marks but it all looks smooth except possibly the area that is picking up lead...I can't see under it...and it is not consistant all around it..a sure sign it may not be smooth there in that small area...maybe I can lap it out

rayjay

IMO, there is nothing more useless than a nylon brush. A well fitted jag and patch does the same thing except better.

BTW, I also modified my jag :). They come stupidly long.

Attachments

• Boreguidescustomjag.jpg
    Boreguidescustomjag.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 5

lonewolf247

Nice find Jester! Can’t wait to see them cleaned up and get a range report!
Several years back I bought a nice Sako Finnfire that needed a good cleaning, and TLC, so I purchased some better cleaning supplies. I bought a coated rod, a bronze brush, and a couple fitted jags.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
easy :) remember I come from a world that only copper and carbon fouls...and they really work good for using a patch and JB. Yep.. my Bore-Tech Proof Positive are stupid long

Jester896

Senior Clown
Nice find Jester! Can’t wait to see them cleaned up and get a range report!
Several years back I bought a nice Sako Finnfire that needed a good cleaning, and TLC, so I purchased some better cleaning supplies. I bought a coated rod, a bronze brush, and a couple fitted jags.

Thanks! He does have a 54 Match if you need one :D even has a Lyman 15X scope with it in a nice wooden box.

I use Dewey at my friends shop...most of my stuff is Bore-Tech...I even found some old Eliminator after I typed that. I just don't have anything for rim fire per say

lonewolf247

Thanks! He does have a 54 Match if you need one :D even has a Lyman 15X scope with it in a nice wooden box.

I use Dewey at my friends shop...most of my stuff is Bore-Tech...I even found some old Eliminator after I typed that. I just don't have anything for rim fire per say

Yea I really don’t need any more .22LR guns, especially benchrest rifles.? Sounds like a nice one though??

I’m looking to get into unfamiliar ground For me. I’ve just about talked myself into S&W M&P 15/22, as my first firearm in an AR style platform.

I never really took my rifle cleaning seriously in .22 caliber until recently. I’ve been doing Dewey cleaning supplies for my bigger bore rifles for years though.

Congrats on the two you’ve picked up again!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I followed your advice on the brush and jag. I was in Dothan today and picked these up. Trying Kroil first.
Had a fellow tell me today just plug it at the action and pour Hydrogen Peroxide down the barrel and the let it sit over night and it would make the
lead turn loss:huh:

IMG_2330.jpg

rayjay

I push the brush from the chamber to the muzzle and then remove it. Same for patches. I don't put weird fluids in my bores.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The spot came off with the Kroil and bronze brush and it is smooth underneath

yeah...I use peroxide on me if needed...and I might clean blood off cloth with it after it dries....not my gun barrel :)

Jester896

Senior Clown
Picked these up to try
IMG_2334.jpg

I walked it up with the Wolf. Believe it or not this is the first time I have shot with this type of sight.

Wolf.jpg

I don't think it liked the Eley Benchrest a 5 shot group

Eley.jpg

It might like the S-K 5 shot group

SK.jpg

Just not confident in my sight picture...sight covers the whole target pretty much...just trying to hold same spot really

rayjay

You should be able to see that green with pink dot in the center of the front aperture.

rayjay

A variety pack of different diameter black sticky dots might help you out finding the correct sized bullseye. If you had a post front sight it's a bit easier.

Jester896

Senior Clown
ordered a pack of front sight inserts from Lyman for the sight. Followed rayjays advice and used the post with the ball on top since it was going to be closer to the current zero I thought.

Went to my first ever .22 match and shot the match.
I went down and put up my target with everyone else. When I got back the RO said he didn't realize I was shooting open sights and suggested I go change mine out. I looked him square in the eyes and told him that sure was a long way there and back :D. After getting to my turn and looking at that red target with open sights made me wish I had followed his advice..I was there for fun...even though it was a competition...lets roll.

I tried real hard to get me something I felt I could run with...here is my sighter target
IMG_2382.jpg

Got close and then moved to the targets...shot bottom to top on both targets..5 rounds each target
IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2384_LI.jpg

just couldn't see um

Second relay I changed them to the open sight targets and they have 10 in each target.

Checked with a sighter to make sure things were good
IMG_2385.jpg

Kinda all over but I wore me and X ring out
IMG_2386_LI.jpg

#2 its not to hard to see I found 2 good holds :)
IMG_2387_LI.jpg

Last edited: