Savage Axis II users

cohutta joe

I've been on this forum a couple years, but not sure I'm posting this in the right thread... but I'm desperate, wanting to start hunting with this gun on Dec 1. I've already had a savage axis to in 22mag, which I let the accutrigger down as for as it would go, and love it, at about 2lbs. I've also had an axis that did not have the accutrigger, but clipped 1.5 rounds of trigger spring and ended up with about 3 lbs, with no problems. However, last week I bought an axis II in 308, and, after not liking the trigger let all the way down (it only went to about 3.5), I started clipping the trigger spring, a half round at a time, until I got it to about 2.5, dry firing. I should probably never have done the next step. but I thought I'd adjust the safety screw on the accutrigger, to stop the rattle. It was perfect, dry firing, but when I went to the range, the trigger would freeze after a shot or 2. I had it apart and trying to figure out the problem, more than I shot it, today, at the range. I'm getting 1/2" groups at 50 yards, which is where I zero all my hunting guns, because I hunt the NGA mountains, where most shots will be between 25-75 yards. The problem is the trigger freezing, like the safety is on (not even the safety blade in the middle of the trigger will move) after I fire it 1 or 2 times. Every time I take the trigger gaurd off and adjust the safety adjustment again until it will dry fire, but when I actually shoot it a couple times, it freezes again. I even tried running the trigger screw in until it was back to 3.5 lbs, and it still dry fired fine, but actually shooting it, still the trigger froze. I know some will want to tell me that I should never have cut the trigger spring or moved the safety set screw, but I already have; too late, now. Can anyone suggest anything else that may need tweeked?

cohutta joe

Thanks for the suggestion, 35 Whelen, And I may end up going that route, as the stock accutrigger has a lot of side to side slop. I never thought to try pushing / pulling that slop at the range today, to see if it helped, but did notice it when I got back home, trying to find the problem. But honestly, the gun fired fine, when actually shooting it, until I started trying to get the trigger below 3.5, after let all the way down, and started cutting springs and turning the safety set screw. I understand that they work together, once you start lightening the trigger, to ensure the sear doesn't pre-jump (which I think is my problem now), but a trigger with less slop would surely make the problem easier to detect. I know that in one way (warranty) I should have never started cutting springs or moving the wax sealed safety adjustment (pretty sure I over-voided the warranty), but I was not happy with a minimum 3.5 lb pull on an adjustable trigger; defeated the purpose, to me.

transfixer

might try contacting Savage and ask them about a replacement trigger parts ? I've never dealt with them , but it might be worth a shot ?

bighonkinjeep

Sounds to me like its failing to reset. Or at least fully reset and the sear is being caught by the accutrigger blade. Which is how the blade is designed and keeping you from having a bad day.(negligent discharge) when closing the bolt or sliding the safety off. Probably from clipping the spring ( the primary function of that spring is trigger reset not just pull weight though it affects both) and not having enough tension or if too short even making sufficent contact. Might try stretching it a little longer or replacing it. The stock can be adding a little extra resistance through flex or friction. You also need to reset the safety screw and lock it down with nail polish or purple loctite.
Their may be a more detailed thread or writeup over at Savage Shooters Forum. An excellent resource for all things Savage.
Good Luck and Be Safe

Last edited:

jicard3

I put a $20 trigger spring kit from M*Carbo in mine. Reduces factory trigger pull and works like a champ.
Edit: Scratch that, you said you have an Accu trigger, M*Carbo kit won't work on Accu trigger.

Last edited: