Savannah River Stripers 4-17-21

Seanote

I needed to fish yesterday and the wind was blowing too much for the coast so I decided to give the stripers a try in the Savannah River. I had never fished for them near dark and was hoping for some topwater action. I didn't put in until 3:30 PM and went to my first drop. They were there and I caught 4 nice 4-5 pounders immediately and missed a couple of fish. These fish were caught on my jigs. 3/4 oz. football jigs with a shad trailer. When the bite quit I decided to go looking for new spots. I fished for a couple of hours with no success. I found a couple who were stranded on a bar in a 19 ft. runabout. I stopped to see if I could help and was able to pull them off with my 20HP. I was surprised it got them off. They would have been there long after dark. I left and stopped to fish a "fishy" looking spot that had not produced in the past. They were there this time! I caught 4 more just before dark on top. It was great. The old Rapala Husky proved to be the bait of choice. They bit steady for 30 min. and quit as soon as it got too dark for me to be there. I took out just after dark. Nice afternoon on the river.

Attachments

• striper14:17:21.jpeg
    striper14:17:21.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 55
  • striper4:17:21 2.jpeg
    striper4:17:21 2.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 56

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
That's a nice catch!

bnz

Sweet! Good job Danny! Nice to see they are still hanging around and not moved upstream.

Redbow

Congrats on your catch I love Striper fishing. Glad you helped the couple out who were aground. I have been stranded before on the water and no one would help.