scalding hog hair off

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Cool Topic

I have never heard this talked about, I have always just skinned them. Are we making "Pork Rinds" with the skin?
If not, what r we doing with it?
BTW- it is really cool to have you pros/oldtimers in here chiming in on this topic...........sounds like this is pretty common practice.

RSmith

Putting pine tops in the water cooks out some of the gum, which is sticky and cause's the hair to stick together and be easier to scrape hopefully. I was always just cheap labor back then, so it is good to hear what temp to use Dad was a three dipper but i had forgotten until ya'll mentioned it.

CL shoer

hey guys a friend and i scaulded a hog today.the advice offered on this subject helped alot.he and i both were around this when we were young.but like mentioned earlier we were gofers.
we took an old bath tub,plugged the hole with a pine limb we whittled and drove it in the drain.next we filled it with water.it was set on blocks so a fire could be built under it.we built a fire with lighter wood and let her smoke.we added some pine tops and got the water where you couldn't put your finger in it.we then added the hog.she was a nice size sow.she almost filled the tub.she stayed in the water 4 mins.we took her out and i was amazed a the ease of removing the hair.most we pulled out with our hands,the rest we used butchers knives to get.
thanks for the advice,and reminding me of things i thought i had forgotten.

Old Winchesters

A drum cut in half some fat lighter and a handful of lye get. Then get the fire going ,water hot, dip the hog and scrape. Burlap bags help keep from dipping the hog twice and some plywood in from of the drum that is buried on an angel will help to slide the hog in and out...Brings back memories...nowadays I just skin'em... ain't worth it to me unless a small bbq hog.

carter

we always used a steel bathtub and added a tar cup for the gum ,we usualy killed between 8 and 10 every year at thanksgiving it was a family thing !