Scary

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
dutchman said:
Anybody heard from Tatonka Chips this morning? Just want ot be sure he and ol Windego didn't meet up this weekend.
I made it :yeah:

Didn't see any deer though, that Ol Wendigo walking behind me spooked deer all weekend long - he sure is noisy :crazy:

quailchaser

Roll Call! :type: Everyone make it back alright this weekend? :D
Be honest, how many actually had some vivid thoughts about this while in the woods this weekend? Not me, I went deep sea fishing instead. Got beat up pretty bad due to the waves but at least I didn't have any monster chasing me through the woods. I'll be going hunting this afternoon so we'll see how things go then. May have to take some extra ammo. :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

dutchman

Ta-ton-ka chips said:
Didn't see any deer though, that Ol Wendigo walking behind me spooked deer all weekend long - he sure is noisy :crazy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

the HEED!

Banned
Wendigo

you know thats weird, Ive felt many times something, "else" was in the woods with me. Crazy I know, not deer or birds thats a given, Im talking like something that makes you wanna turn around and look ya know? At dark or going in early its just like something is watching me, no footsteps have ever been heard or whispers or sightings but its just weird. Freaky feeling in the woods all alone........... :hair: I was a mile or so in off Jacks River one time hunting the Cohuttas and was just sitting there enjoying the scenery and as dark approached I headed out, I made it to the parking area and was watching a beaver in a beaver pond and it just seemed like something was in the woods watching me watch the beaver in its pond. On the way out to my truck as light was fading I had the feeling of something following me slowly but I never turned to look just walked to my truck but I gaurantee you if I had turned and saw something I could have done a 4.4 4o yrd dash to the truck with a stand on my back! :D

billy336

Crazy stories, whether real or not a good read, especially stuck here behind my desk. I hunted all weekend but no rotten meat smell. My hunting buddies have a few less years of experience than I do and they come in at night saying how scary it was wlking in the dark. I remember when I was 12 years old and was dropped off at a treestand for the first time before dark. So scared I was shakin'. Now hundreds of hunts later I have a hard time of being scared of anything. I know that I am the TOP of the food chain, and the .308 in my hands will have the final say in any matter. Now as far as the guy who fired of 40 or whatever rounds into the darkness :crazy:, I aint huntin' anywhere near that guy. Yikes.

bradpatt03

I know that I am the TOP of the food chain, and the .308 in my hands will have the final say in any matter. Now as far as the guy who fired of 40 or whatever rounds into the darkness , I aint huntin' anywhere near that guy. Yikes.

you got that right...

first of all, i have gotten freaked out a time or two in the woods...and then i imagine what it would feel like to take a .280 ballistic tip from 10 yards between the eyes and i'm suddenly not as scared :D ...and as far as that guy...i don't know if i'd admit to goin loco on some rustlin leaves near me...coulda been a kid playin a joke or somethin ya know :crazy:

Mrbowdeadly

I remember vividly

coming out of the woods one night. I was hunting by myself. As I walked in the leaves, I couldn't help but hear a whispering behind me. It went hisssssss at first, I thought it was my imagination, or maybe a snake. Then I heard it again. This time it went ppppfffffffffffttttttttttttttttttt . I decided to change my stride, the next time I lifted my leg, I stopped suddenly with my leg raised in the air. pppppppppppplllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooppppppppp

You guessed it, the beans I had ate the night before. The whole experience made me have to change my drawers when I got back to camp.

I had encountered the "break-windego". An experience I would not soon forget.

Be afraid. It has been described as "silent, but deadly".

MBD :banana:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The only thing that scares me...

My ex-wife ran off with a gamewarden. So, everytime I see a gamewarden I thinks it's him bringing her back..... :rofl:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Those are some pretty scary stories.

I liked them!!

I've honestly only been really scared in the woods before. I mean really scared.

I was hunting on Redlands WMA back in 97. I was 19 at the time and it was in November. I got a wild hair up my you know what and decided to leave the rifle at home and take the bow.

I hunted all afternoon with no luck. I waited till dark, climbed down, packed my climber up and begin the fairly long trek back to my truck.

I'd never been to this particular part of the WMA before and I didn't mark my trail in. I was pretty confident I'd be able to find my way back to the road and my truck.

I was walking through some big pines. 30+ year old pines with some tall yellow grass in between the trees. My light was a little AA Maglight and the batteries weren't fully juiced.

Suddenly I hear some noise out in front of me. I can't see it, but it's sounds like it's running directly at me. Then I see two little gold beads flashing in my light. Up out of the grass, then back down into the grass, up out of the grass, back down into the grass, etc........

This thing is heading directly at me full speed. I freeze up and I don't know what to do. I look down at my bow, wishing I had my rifle, I look back up only to see the grass parting aside to let a big grey fox come charging out of it only feet in front of me.

Now I'm thinking, "HOLY MOLY IT'S GOT RABIES AND IT'S COMING AFTER ME!!!!"

The gap has closed down to just feet. It feels like everything is in slow motion, but it's only been happening for a couple of seconds. The fox is literally only a couple of feet from me and coming at me full throttle.

Then I do it. Yell at the top of my lungs. It wasn't a scream, but some kind of gutteral yell at the top of my lungs. ;) I've never made a noise like that ever!!!

The fox jumps about 10ft into the air, does a 180 degree turn and high tails it to the next county.

Me, I stop and want to check my pants for an accident!!!

I swear, if there were any other hunters out in those woods and they heard me yell, I know I scared the you know what out of them. I had to have sounded like someone giving a death yell out in the woods!!!

Scared the living crap out of me.

Tommy

Last edited:

NickW

I know a few more folks with similar encounters. Your not alone. Very interesting post.

Woodsong

Tommy,
that is a riot! I have spent a ton of time in the woods but never been freaked out while hunting. I have had some freaky moments while doing my lond distance hikes on the Appalachian Trail though! Since humans are by far the scariest possible element to be found in the woods (or anywhere for that matter), it is no suprise that the freakiest moment to come to my mind involves a person. In the summer of 1997 i had made my way up into Vermont on my way to Maine. If you have never been to VT, it is absolutely gorgeous with some areas being absolutely remote! Well another hiker and i are cruising along very late in the afternoon in the middle of nowhere. We were heading to a shelter that we knew about 6 other hiker friends of ours were spending the night so were looking forward to seeing them and eating dinner after a 25+ mile day. About 1/2 mile from the shelter we come up to this logging road with nothing around for miles. Coincidently, just as we get to the logging road there is a guy, non-hiker guy, that had been on the logging road and happens to get to the trail crossing just before us. He is turning to go on the trail in front of us and as we usually would do we said hello as we came up behind him. He stops and turns to talk to us when we see a .45 strapped to his side. Not unusual by itself but this guy was plain weird. No eye contact, abrut, odd sentences, no coherent thought. It was kind of weird and he seemed kind of dark and stormy. We talked for just a moment and then he went on ahead of us on the trail towards the shelter. There were no other road crossings between there and the shelter and no houses anywhere nearby as we were deep in the nat'l forest. We decide he was a bit odd so we take a break for 5 minutes and let him get ahead. Soon enough we load up and start packing to the shelter. As we are getting very near the shelter it is now getting well into dusk and soon to be dark- to the point where it is about time to get our headlamps out to hike the last couple of hundred yards. As we stopped to get out our headlights, that is when it started. Gunfire city!! I mean, the woods were torn up with gunshots- VERY close gunshots and only one gun being shot!! It totally freaked us out!! We looked @ each other and both more or less said, "Holy cow!! That dude is attacking the shelter!!" The gun goes through one clip, then a break, another clip, a break, and then another clip and then it is quiet. We have no choice but to slip on towards the shelter to see what on earth is going on....
We evently sneak our way to the shelter, sure there will be nothing but carniage. Come to find out the shelter was right on a river and just on the other side of the river some teenagers had pulled up on another logging road and were target practicing with their pistol!
Scared us to death though!! Odd thing is that the folks in the shelter said the pistol guy we saw never came by and we never could figure out where he went....???

Anyway, probably doesn't sound so scary now but at the time it was pretty freaky.

deersled

OK ALREADY!!!! any body got any funny squirrel or chipmunk stories. I'm having a hard time sleeping with the light on.

WSB

I have felt like something was following me in the woods after dark before, now I know it was Mr. Windego! ::gone: :bounce:

short stop

I saw a grown man throw his bolt action gun in the bushes and squel like a school girl when a black snake cralwed across his boot while we were on a public land hunt yrs ago ---what a Loser ! , He went abrupley back to his vehicle no doubt to clean his drawers and never to return -thanks to our ribbin ---''WATCH OUT THERES A MOTH'' :rofl: ---- :bounce: I was in tears after watchin this grown man think the creepy crawler was comin to get him ----ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Mrbowdeadly said:
coming out of the woods one night. I was hunting by myself. As I walked in the leaves, I couldn't help but hear a whispering behind me. It went hisssssss at first, I thought it was my imagination, or maybe a snake. Then I heard it again. This time it went ppppfffffffffffttttttttttttttttttt . I decided to change my stride, the next time I lifted my leg, I stopped suddenly with my leg raised in the air. pppppppppppplllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooppppppppp

You guessed it, the beans I had ate the night before. The whole experience made me have to change my drawers when I got back to camp.

I had encountered the "break-windego". An experience I would not soon forget.

Be afraid. It has been described as "silent, but deadly".

MBD :banana:

Smell like rottin' flesh too???

dutchman

WSB said:
I have felt like something was following me in the woods after dark before, now I know it was Mr. Windego! ::gone: :bounce:

Not necessarily. It could be Tatonka Chips. But only if he makes lots of noise. :bounce: