Scholastic Question

Joe Brandon

Has anyone ever studied while in the woods. In grad school and trying to get in the woods a bit more. I know it’s a crazy question but surely someone’s done it. Heck I sit for 4-6 hours anyway might as well read and take some notes.

HermanMerman

I used to when I was in college and it burned me one time. I was reading a book for a law class and heard something behind me only to turn around and watch three of the biggest bucks I have ever seen cross the bottom. They trotted up the ridge and into a clear cut before I could do anything about it.

Joe Brandon

I used to when I was in college and it burned me one time. I was reading a book for a law class and heard something behind me only to turn around and watch three of the biggest bucks I have ever seen cross the bottom. They trotted up the ridge and into a clear cut before I could do anything about it.
But my real question is did you finish law school? If so mission accomplished in my book!!!!

Joe Brandon

I dont study but i sure do read alot in the stand.
Thanks!!!! Yes if I can read than I can get in what I need. Not sure why I have never thought of this before. Surprisingly my wife suggested it. She knows how much hunting helps me but also recognizes I’m in grad school.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Still had to be better than studying in a library or study hall! :p

DrK

Yes. Done it a lot of times for board recertification and continuing medical education. I actually stops me from moving to much and I just look around every 3-5 minutes. Better than the library or the house

Blackston

I’ve filled in for the pastor , prepared “sermon “in stand

Kev

When I was in college, I studied for chemistry and did homework in the deer stand. One time, I had been reading my chem text book for about 30 minutes without looking up. When I glanced up, I saw a nice buck feeding on acorns about 75 yards out. I was able to make a good shot. He ended up being a pretty nice 11 point.

Deerhead

Yep! I would take my text book or class notes with me to the stand. I was working, going to college at night and hunt on the weekends. Other guys I hunted with thought I was crazy. Maybe but I graduated in 2000....

TomC

Yep, did a whole lot of studying from the tree when working on my Masters. Download whatever to an Ipad. Get a Lifeproof waterproof case and shoulder strap. Should something stumble by the Ipad with the strap rests on your chest and out of the way even when bowhunting.

Do the same these days every time I climb a tree just reading downloaded books. Very relaxing.......the books that is.......not the Masters coursework material.

TS15

Yep, in the same boat with ya. Like others I download my books and lectures on the iPhone or Kindle. I know I have missed some opportunities on deer, but the work has to get done! Only a year and a half left though so fingers crossed!

Bubba_1122

I often take a (small) Bible into the stand. Very peaceful place to read God’s Word.

For several years had a some college FB coaches that I’m close to that I’d write and text a devotional from the stand on game day. Would usually have a topic and rough outline on Friday but would get it together and send it on Saturday mornings. Was a little pressure (especially for those with early start times-the pre-game routine starts a number of hours before kickoff), but I really enjoyed doing that.

Frankly I’m not sure if the devotions were a distraction to the deer hunting or if the deer were a distraction to the devotion writing. Still, it seemed to work out pretty well.

Matthewmathis8

I'm a teacher, I sit and grade papers in the stand all the time. Much better than sitting at school and doing it, and a lot less people wanting to talk to me while I'm doing it. Killed quite a few deer over the years in the stand doing it. Does take a little bit if strategy to put everything down and get the gun up sometimes.

NCMTNHunter

I say go for it if you can actually study and get your stuff taken care of. I can’t do it. There is something deep within me that won’t let me do anything but hunt while I’m hunting. I tried it once in middle school. I had a book report due and my dad told me I could hunt if I took my stuff to the stand and got my report done. I spent all weekend with an open book in my lap and not one word got read. ?