scope line of sight and bullet trajectory

NCMTNHunter

I just think rising is the wrong word. It takes a force to make it gain elevation. If you set a bullet on the floor, and it magically started rising up to the ceiling, that would be rising.

I think you understand the principal, it just gives the wrong idea, when someone says, a bullet rises as it leaves the barrel, then it starts to come back down.

Yeah I think we’re hung up on terminology.

BriarPatch99

You are missing the fact that the bullet is always falling(once it leaves the barrel) ...You simply aim the barrel up ....but the bullet is still falling ....it crosses the line of sight(remember it it still falling) somewhere around 25/40 yards ..... remember the bullet is still falling ...it crosses the line of sight at the point you hope for (target) the bullet is still falling.....if you miss the target .... the bullet is still falling until it hit the ground or something else stops it

Point being the bullet is falling from the time it leaves the barrel until it hit the ground....

No the water is not rising either ....just like the bullet it is falling once it comes out the hose. You are pointing the h o as up ...but the water is still falling down ... Just like you point the barrel up to get the bullet to fall where you want it ...

First thing you need to remove the word " rising" out anytime you are talking bullets ... Bullets do not rise ....

I know you think it is hard to understand .... If you would dump the "rising or rise" words and replace them with falls or falling you would finally get bit ....

NCMTNHunter

Say you are shooting at a target at 100 yards. Your cross hairs are 3ft off the ground. Your target is 3ft off the ground. So the line from your crosshairs to your target is 3ft off the ground. Your bullet sitting in the chamber is 2ft 10.5inches off the ground. You shoot the gun and around the 30 or 40 yard mark the bullet crosses the line between your cross hairs and the target. The bullet just went from 2ft 10.5inches off the ground to being 3ft off the ground. I should say that bullet just fell 1.5 inches? When it hits the paper at 100 yards 2 inch above the center of target I should say it fell 3.5”? Is that bullet not going up, gaining elevation, rising? The bullet may be falling away from the line made by the barrel but if it’s gaining elevation it’s not falling.

Last edited:

Dub

What am I missing?

Definition of terms according to laws of physics.

We understand your concept. It illustrates a point. Yours is simply an analogy.

Others are adhering to fact and true terms and definition in accordance with laws of physics.

BriarPatch99

Say you are shooting at a target at 100 yards. Your cross hairs are 3ft off the ground. Your target is 3ft off the ground. So the line from your crosshairs to your target is 3ft off the ground. Your bullet sitting in the chamber is 2ft 10.5inches off the ground. You shoot the gun and around the 30 or 40 yard mark the bullet crosses the line between your cross hairs and the target. The bullet just went from 2ft 10.5inches off the ground to being 3ft off the ground. I should say that bullet just fell 1.5 inches? When it hits the paper at 100 yards 2 inch above the center of target I should say it fell 3.5”? Is that bullet not going up, gaining elevation, rising? The bullet may be falling away from the line made by the barrel but if it’s gaining elevation it’s not falling.

Jester896

Senior Clown

that 1.5" your looking for... is how much above the line of sight the barrel is pointed in relation to the line of sight. If the 2 were parallel the bullet would never cross the line of sight since it is always falling...it was 1.5" below the line of sight when it started so it will never reach the line of sight since it is always falling.

slow pitch soft ball...the ball is thrown up...not rises up...to land in the glove just behind home plate....similar to bullet travel...hope that helps

BriarPatch99

You still don't get it ...You angled you gun up ...the bullet does not rise ...the bullet continues to fall once out of the barrel .... You caused it to FALL across the line of sight around 30/40 yards ....it continues to fall until it crosses the line of sight again at the target distance of it continues until it hits the ground ...

You just can't seem to get the fact that the bullet is always falling even though you pointed the gun up at an angle ....this causes the bullet to across the LOS twice ...but it is FALLING the whole time ....

You should lose the world "rise" when talking about bullets ....

A .308 220 grain bullet(2523 fps)fired at an angle of 35 degrees will give the maximum distance that bullet can travel 5653.3 yards ....

Your problem is you do not get the fact that the gun is fired at an angle 35 degrees UP ... YET the bullet falls and continues to fall until it hits the ground...

All of your illustrations ... only mean that you control the FALL of the bullet so it falls where you want it ... NEVER is a bullet rising.

Sorry you can't seem to get that .....

Rich M

I was wondering who would make it most palatable - Jester's softball pitch hits it.

I just got a 350 legend and it is about the slowest rifle bullet I've ever had. 100 yd zero and 8 or 10 inch drop to 200 yards. Like a softball.

If our eyesight thru the scope was a laser, the gun is actually pointed to throw the bullet up and lob it towards the target. Depending on the distance it will cross the laser twice - with the 350 Legend that is about 50 yards lobbed up and whatever the zero is at, say 100 yards, coming down.

BriarPatch99

The bullet just went from 2ft 10.5inches off the ground to being 3ft off the ground. I should say that bullet just fell 1.5 inches? When it hits the paper at 100 yards 2 inch above the center of target I should say it fell 3.5”?

Yes ..the bullet fell the whole time ... It just fell 1.5" more than it was falling to start with . ...you simply angled the barrel to control where the bullet fell to in relation to the line of sight ....

BriarPatch99

It is so simple a cave man can get it ... Caveman throws a rock at a rabbit .... the cave man knows the rock is falling once it leaves his hand ...so he throws the rock up (the rock does not rise on it own) so it falls where the rabbit is ...cave man has roasted rabbit for supper ....

Gravity is working all the time even when the bullet is in the barrel ...it is pulling down ...once the bullet leaves the angled up barrel ...Gravity is still working pulling the bullet down ...it is falling back to earth .... Bullets FALL!

Reactions: Dub

NCMTNHunter

Yes ..the bullet fell the whole time ... It just fell 1.5" more than it was falling to start with . ...you simply angled the barrel to control where the bullet fell to in relation to the line of sight ....

When a bullet leaves a level barrel it starts accelerating toward the center of the earth due to gravity while also decelerating horizontally in the direction the barrel was pointed.

When the barrel is angled upward the bullet decelerates vertically away from the center of the earth until it reaches the top of the arc the starts accelerating back towards the center of the earth while also decelerating horizontally in the direction the barrel was pointed.

Correct?

Last edited:

NCMTNHunter

It is so simple a cave man can get it ... Caveman throws a rock at a rabbit .... the cave man knows the rock is falling once it leaves his hand ...so he throws the rock up (the rock does not rise on it own) so it falls where the rabbit is ...cave man has roasted rabbit for supper ....

Gravity is working all the time even when the bullet is in the barrel ...it is pulling down ...once the bullet leaves the angled up barrel ...Gravity is still working pulling the bullet down ...it is falling back to earth .... Bullets FALL!

I think we are really close here. We clearly understand what a bullet does when It leaves the barrel. I just have a hard time saying a bullet is falling until it is actually loosing elevation and accelerating towards the ground. Gravity is absolutely working on the bullet all the time. That is why it decelerates upward in the first part of the arc, gravity is slowing it down.

Rich M

I always am intrigued by the concept that a bullet should hit the ground at the same time if shot from a level horizontal barrel/gun and dropped from next to the gun at the same elevation. Gravity is doing all the work, one goes straight down, the other goes down as it goes forward.

The timing is the thing - one goes say 3 ft in what fraction of a second? The other goes 500-1,000 feet or more. Nuts!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Just to illustrate the confusion caused by the term rise, If I fire my rifle at the limb of a tree that is 25 ft up that bullet will embed itself in the limb well above my head and it will stay there until the limb falls. The bullet did wind up higher than the muzzle of my rifle but it did so because it was forced upwards. It will complete it's fall when the limb comes down as gravity is ever present.

BriarPatch99

Yes ..I think things are coming together ....

I have to be out for a while ...no Wi-Fi ...spotty all coverage ...be back after lunch ...you guys figure out the remaining questions ....I'll catch up when I get back.

NCMTNHunter

You still don't get it ...You angled you gun up ...the bullet does not rise ...the bullet continues to fall once out of the barrel .... You caused it to FALL across the line of sight around 30/40 yards ....it continues to fall until it crosses the line of sight again at the target distance of it continues until it hits the ground ...

You just can't seem to get the fact that the bullet is always falling even though you pointed the gun up at an angle ....this causes the bullet to across the LOS twice ...but it is FALLING the whole time ....

You should lose the world "rise" when talking about bullets ....

A .308 220 grain bullet(2523 fps)fired at an angle of 35 degrees will give the maximum distance that bullet can travel 5653.3 yards ...

Sorry you can't seem to get that .....

I do understand every bit of that. I even understand that if that barrel is at 35 degrees that bullet never sees 35 degrees once it leaves the barrel. Gravity immediately starts decelerating the bullet upward causing it to constantly turn to a lesser angle. But just because it is going up at a lesser angle does not mean it is not going up.

Last edited: