Scope Mount Question

spencer12

I’m a left handed shooter, and I have recently just started purchasing left hand specific rifles. I prefer a one piece scope mount and I’m wondering if these types of mounts are LH/RH specific. I’ve noticed that most of them seem to be machined to favor a right handed shooter, however I know they will fit a left handed gun. I’m just not sure if there is a specific base I would need for a left handed rifle. Currently I am shooting a left handed browning xbolt hunter in .308 and I’ll probably get a Leupold with either a 1” or 30mm tube. Your thoughts, opinions, tips.?

bullgator

I wouldn’t think so. I’ve turned mounts around to get the proper scope positioning I needed.

Jester896

Senior Clown
there shouldn't be any difference. what have you seen that makes you believe they are other than the cut for ejection. A picatinny is ambi because it doesn't have a cut

delacroix

BANNED
Some LH guns have a cut out that requires a left hand base, but its not an issue on a receiver like that Browning. DNZ mounts are easiest and as strong as anything.

Jester896

Senior Clown
It may be hard to find a picatinney for a Browning. A one piece Weaver wouldn't be too dificult. If you don't want to slightly cover your ejection port you could use a 2 piece Weaver. All it will do really is change where your brass falls if it hits it

Nimrod71

Brownell's list picatinney mounts for X Bolts. But I didn't see any listed as left hand. I have mount scopes on several X Bolts using the 2 piece Leopold 2 piece mounts and the owners have all said they shoot great. Personally I like the looks of the Leopold over the picatinney.

Tacoma Man

I’m a lefty. I have a Ruger m77 and a new Tikka. Both are lefty bolts. I used the Ruger mounts for it and bought 2 piece Leupold mounts for the Tikka. So far I like the Leupold mounts

Rich M

They sell integral. Mounts and rings. You could have a 2 pc setup.

Leupold ain't all it used to be. Made in Asia and japan now, along w most other scopes.

nmurph

...Leupold ain't all it used to be. Made in Asia and japan now, along w most other scopes.

Please check your facts. Only the glass comes from outside the US- Europe and Asia. They are designed, parts other than glass are US sourced, and are assembled in the US.

Nimrod71

I have never had a problem with Leupold bases or rings until two weeks ago. I have been using their bases and rings for over 39 years and they always matched up fine until now. The front mount is a twist lock and it has always been hard but smooth. I changed to a 30 mm scope and had to change rings. I put the ring in the base and started the turn, man it was so hard I was afraid I was going to twist the base off or break the screws. The rings were to high so I had to change them out again. When I removed the front ring there was a rough scratch on the base. I checked the bottom of the ring and it wasn't perfectly finished. I got a medium ring and it was even harder to lock into the base. I am glad it worked for I don't know if the base screws would take another change. Another problem showed up a work. I was putting Leupold rings on a rifle and two of the screws were cut off at and angle and would not start in the ring base, I had to take two from a junk ring to complete the work. I guess this probes the old saying: Everything changes and nothing stays the same.

Rich M

Please check your facts. Only the glass comes from outside the US- Europe and Asia. They are designed, parts other than glass are US sourced, and are assembled in the US.

Baloney. They outsource several lines.

You do your research and buy based on what you believe.

nmurph

From the Leupold website-

Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world.

1. Where does Leupold get its glass?
  2. At this time, there are no American manufacturers that can supply enough high quality lenses to support our Golden Ring Optics production. Our lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in our state-of -the-art optics labs. The glass is then procured from vendors who must meet stringent quality standards. Incoming parts are carefully inspected in our testing facility before they are accepted into the build process.
    All major optics producers acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold. Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. The source of the base material is not nearly as important as the optical design. Our glass is so much clearer due to our proprietary lens coatings, how we engineer the prescription of the lenses, and the construction of the optic itself.

rosewood

Baloney. They outsource several lines.

You do your research and buy based on what you believe.
I believe the Binoculars and maybe red dot type optics are made overseas. The rifle scopes are still built here as their webpage says.

Seems like I read somewhere that no company builds binoculars in the US, not sure if that is true or not.

Rosewood

rosewood

Maybe I misunderstood some of the post, but I have several 1 piece scope bases that would get in the way of a left hand eject rifle. They have a cut out on the right side for clearance of the cartridge ejecting. The 2 piece bases should solve any issues that might cause.

Rosewood