Scope Worth Its Cost

Nimrod71

As ya'll have seen from my post I have been fooling around and talking about getting a new scope and rifle. Well I finally settled on a new scope the rifle is still up in the air.

My new scope is a Nightforce SHV 5-20 X 56 with MOAR lighted reticle. I mounted it on my M40 using Nightforce 20 base and rings. To sight it in I loaded up ten rounds using 4895 powder and Speer 150 gr. BTSP. I set my target at 25 yds. and put the rifle in the shooting rest and adjusted, loaded and fired for effect. The bullet hit about 2 in. high and 1/2 in. to the right. I made scope adjustment by the numbers on the knobs, fired again, hit bottom of center dot. I moved the target to 100 yd., adjusted rifle rest to range and fired. Bullet was about 4 in. high about 1 in. to the right. Adjusted knobs to numbers and fired again, bullet hit top of bullseye. I fired 3 more rounds and made one big hole.

I have to say this was the fastest and easiest time I ever had sighting in a scope. The bullet moved in perfect alinement with the scope knobs.

Another amazing thing was how well the crosshairs showed up on the target. I have three other scopes I use for long range target shooting and their crosshairs are not nearly as visible on a dark target as the Nightforce. To further test the SHV I carried it behind my house late yesterday evening looking for hogs. As the light was fading a deer walked across the planted pines in the shadows. I just could see the deer so I put the scope on it, I could still see the crosshairs good enough to make the shot. I put the rifle down and waited about 15 minutes, until I just could see the deer, I put the crosshairs on it again but I couldn't make them out. I turned the light on and I could have made the shot. The light settings are really good, I couldn't ask for better.

With all this work and oh, I dropped the rifle and the eye piece hit the concrete floor hard, it did scare me, being I hadn't even fired the rifle at the time, I am planning on buying another one for my hunting rifle.

Stevie Ray

Congrats!

I have three of those exact SHV's and am super happy with them all, picked up my first one whenever they originally came out a few years ago and have never had a bit of problem with any of the scopes.

I think you'll be happy with your choice!

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Sounds very encouraging.

Haven’t mounted mine yet, but have done some backyard playing with the at different times of afternoon and evening.

I believe I will be happy, too.