Scrap Lead

If you have access to a gun range you can screen the dirt from the backstops on the range and get all the lead you want if not one disapproves. Just screen the dirt back on the piles so it doesn't cause any issues. Look on youtube there are some videos on it.

Anvil Head

Used to get all the wheel weights I could carry in two five gallon buckets with a potato rake. Working through the curb roughage of normally high traffic intersections on an early Sunday morning. Industrial/commercial type areas were best. Curbs are notorious weight removers.
Haven't needed to do it in many years (got all I'll ever need). Have noticed that some of the new ones are made of steel now.
If you lived up here near Atlanta I'd give you a few #s.

Bream Pole

I have yet to make use of them, but got abucket full of lead wheel weights from a gas station here that sold tires and rotated and balanced tires.

patsam

Try a scrap metal processor. Most of them have scrap lead. There are several in Savannah. There is a good one right up from the Georgia Power Operating Headquarters. Madison Elliot used to be the owner, was a great scrap dealer for GPC, and a good guy.

zedex

Gator Bait
Go to an auto wrecker and get old wheel weights. More tire shops reuse them.

RHFisherman

Just want to say thanks for all the advice. Picked up #50lbs of bird shot from a friend.

I did call 1 scrap yard and 1 tire shop with no luck... Just for those who read this with the same questions

Anvil Head

I look at trading that bird shot to a shotshell reloader. Worth way more than scrap lead. Besides by the time you melt it down you will have a good bit of oxidation loss and a whole lot of dross (floating debres) to get rid of.

RHFisherman

A quick update:

The lead shot fell through but I did find some at a tire shop. 2 x 5 gallon buckets worth. There's some nonlead mixed in but it all floats up once you get a good base of melted lead.

Thanks for the help, hope this thread helps those that come later.

I have bought scrap lead that came from gun ranges. Theres a lot of waste that has to be sifted through but at 27 cents a pound i came out way ahead. Myself and most of my friends have enough 10oz sinkers to last a lifetime. I still have lead leftover, I bought 300 lb. all the waste comes to the top so it wasn't that bad!