Scuppernong planting advice

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Also look at the different types of trellis designs.I never harvested over a handful in 8 years because of the birds and deers eating them as soon as they started to ripen.A fence and bird netting was needed because I wasn,t there to keep them from eating my share of the ripened fruit.

Stroker

Also look at the different types of trellis designs.I never harvested over a handful in 8 years because of the birds and deers eating them as soon as they started to ripen.A fence and bird netting was needed because I wasn,t there to keep them from eating my share of the ripened fruit.
Coons usually beat the deer to mine, they'll leave the empty hulls as a calling card.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Plant north to south They don,t like weeds around them.Isons is a great source of information and plants.
This. Go to Ison's website, they have a vast wealth of good info about growing and caring for them.

Luv2Bowhnt

This. Go to Ison's website, they have a vast wealth of good info about growing and caring for them.
spoke to them on the phone yesterday. very helpful. I'll place my order later this summer and plant this winter. Appreciate you guys recommending Ison's.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
UGA experiment station at Experiment Ga.(Griffin)
Does extensive research on muscadines. Go online to UGA website read up on them. Ison works with them on new varieties.

Shadow11

Got mine from ison's also, about 5 or 6 years ago. The possums love them too. I never would have thought it. It took me awhile to figure it out. I put a cam out, and saw it in action crawling across top of vine. It would take one bite, drop it, get another and do the same thing. I got that taken care of one night.

I had one year when yellow jackets destroyed about half of them. They'll bore holes in the skin when they get almost ripe. Last year was a good year. Starting off good this year.

Trellis per ISONS: single trellis wire is most productive in long run. I use a lower wire to hang the drip irrigation tubing. You can use smaller gauge wire for this use, only recommend the larger wire that I got from ISONS for the top wire...made mistake of going light and cheap and got a lot of sag when the grapes came in!

Yup, single wire best. If you go for the traditional arbor modify pruning to develop arms equivalent in length to what a single wire would carry. From that point don't skimp on pruning or you'll have a tangled mess if you do.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Plant enough for the birds, the coons, the deer, and yourself.

Sort of like the old corn planting rule: "One for the mouse, one for the crow, one for to rot, and one to grow".

Shotgun1

If you are anywhere near Jasper county you could come by my place and I will show you what I did wrong,what I did right and you can see it all in living color. Two main things are proper trelis and proper pruning. If these two things are not right nothing else matters. I also have some small cable you are welcome to. Shotgun 1 P.S. Ison's is a great resorce

Shotgun is point on, however I might add that which I had added to another discussion: muscadines like most fruiting plants benefit most from early shaping and training, afterwards you move into pruning mode to maintain that which you have established and to maximize two very critical concepts- maximize sunlight and maximize air movement/circulation. Leaves and at certain stages in developmental points the fruit needs maximum sunlight; air circulation helps to reduce fungal disorders and other associated maladies. A nit to pic.. but getting the concept of training and shaping in the early stages is very important as is downstream pruning!! Similar activities, but different goals, but same intent= maximize fruit production!

Shadow11

Looking like a good year up here in the nega hills. This photo is some sort of small purple variety. It's always loaded. I just wish I would have done a better job keeping up with what type I bought.

The best one out of the 5 or 6 varieties that I got from isons, is a medium-large bronze type. I've got 2 other bronze types, but whatever that particular one is, dang near tastes like cotton candy. They're all good though, but that one really stands out. Wish I knew the name of it.

Screenshot_2021-07-28-02-04-02.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-28-02-04-02.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-28-02-04-02.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Eudora

If you are anywhere near Jasper county you could come by my place and I will show you what I did wrong,what I did right and you can see it all in living color. Two main things are proper trelis and proper pruning. If these two things are not right nothing else matters. I also have some small cable you are welcome to. Shotgun 1 P.S. Ison's is a great resorce

I am looking to put in some vines right there in Jasper County too. I will PM you if you don't mind?