Season Summary and Wrap Up for Me

Waddams

I think my season is probably done unless I get lucky and find myself with an unexpectedly free day in December.

• I might be done deer hunting for this season. December is booked up with lots of holiday and family stuff. My wife is ready for some husband focused time as well.
  • I've managed to kill 3 deer this year. No mature trophy bucks. But I have a horizontal freezer stuffed to the top with venison. I'm primarily a meat hunter first, trying again for a big set of antlers might have to wait until next season now.
  • On the subject of big antlers, my area of the hunting club has one really big mature buck that I've got on camera in various locations, some in day time. I think I've got 3 different distinct bedding areas identified he bounces between. If I find a chance to go again, I will be working those areas.
  • I plan on some off season scouting and camera work as well to try to nail him down a little better.
  • It's my first year in this club, and as a still inexperienced hunter, I think I have figured out how the deer use probably half the club property. It's been fun.
  • Last deer I killed was a really big spike. Very long face. Another hunter I know thinks it was older than a year and a half and the antlers just weren't developing for some reason. Got so much meat off him it took two coolers to ice it all down. I didn't weight him in.
  • With my freezer totally full, no need to kill anymore unless it's the one big buck or I decide to give some away or figure out summer sausages and jerky with it.

For me - I consider it a successful season for me. I killed 3, and had chances at 2 more, in limited weekend warrior hunting duty. That's the most I've ever managed to get. I also killed my first deer ever on public land at a quota hunt. I'm figuring out better where to track them down, see more deer, have shot opportunities. I've managed to find a big, mature buck, just haven't got him patterned down enough to make a better effort at him than just hanging and hoping at the moment. He'll remain a work in progress unless I find time for another trip and just get lucky. If I'm out and get a chance at just another meat doe or something, whether I shoot or not will likely come down to if I feel like dealing with it afterwards or not.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yessir! Great and successful season! I’ve had my best ever but far from done. I thought I had a bunch of meat with 2 good sized deer……..including my first buck-WOOHOO! But I gave a bunch to friends, ate some, ate some more at thanksgiving and just put my first two trays of jerky in the oven. I still have 19# of gorgeous chunks to grind, but I’m ready to put my 1st Georgia deer on ice!
I hope the chips fall your way and you go at least another time or two………or three! If not, I know you are content and I’d be too! :cheers:

Having that buck on your mind might make ya nuts so don’t let it. Enjoy the chase and best of luck getting to know him well enough to kill him! I got a good feeling and look forward to the tale!

DynamicDennis

Good work. About the time you think you have it figured out, it'll change. That's what keeps it fun though, the challenge. We all want to kill the biggest buck in the woods, but if it happened every time you went I don't think it would be the same.

Waddams

Yessir! Great and successful season! I’ve had my best ever but far from done. I thought I had a bunch of meat with 2 good sized deer……..including my first buck-WOOHOO! But I gave a bunch to friends, ate some, ate some more at thanksgiving and just put my first two trays of jerky in the oven. I still have 19# of gorgeous chunks to grind, but I’m ready to put my 1st Georgia deer on ice!
I hope the chips fall your way and you go at least another time or two………or three! If not, I know you are content and I’d be too! :cheers:

Having that buck on your mind might make ya nuts so don’t let it. Enjoy the chase and best of luck getting to know him well enough to kill him! I got a good feeling and look forward to the tale!

I hope you get that first Georgia deer! Good luck!

Good work. About the time you think you have it figured out, it'll change. That's what keeps it fun though, the challenge. We all want to kill the biggest buck in the woods, but if it happened every time you went I don't think it would be the same.

Yeah, the food sources change year by year - acorns are different, our club food plots this year just didn't come up well. They just didn't grow with the lack of rain. There's a new development going in next to one area of the club, I'm sure that will mix things up too.

I'm hoping to add that big buck to the kill list one day, but I make a mindful effort to remember to keep things about the time away from the rat race, in the woods, and at camp with the people more than big antler trophies. As long as I have those and get to refill the freezer with venison, I'm happy. Big antlers will be a nice cherry on top whenever it finally happens.

Thanks all.

TJay

Sounds like a good season to me. It's not the destination but the journey. Where one season ends the next season picks up. Good stuff!

rugerfan

Sounds like you had a good season, and congrats for that. I cannot say that I have had a great season, I have seen a fair share of deer for hunting public lands, but I struggled to see bucks this year, struggled to find good consistent deer sign at times. I think I am done for the year. Late season gets tough for me. Weekends from here to Christmas are booked up with shopping, hanging Christmas lights, family obligations, etc. Not to mention pressure at work goes up trying to fulfill contractual obligations before the first of year.

Waddams

..... Late season gets tough for me. Weekends from here to Christmas are booked up with shopping, hanging Christmas lights, family obligations, etc. Not to mention pressure at work goes up trying to fulfill contractual obligations before the first of year.

Me too. Work is kinda crazy right now, holiday season kicks in, and I'm right there with you except for shopping. These days we buy cards and gift cards then mail them, or just ship gifts from Amazon. I'm done with holiday shopping crowds and traffic.

I do appreciate a Christmas parade, lights show, and Helen at Christmas time is a favorite of ours. Right now, I'm still a weekend warrior in the MetroATL area, my hunting grounds are all weekender day or overnight trips. And this weekend is SEC championship game party, then my Steeler fan wife has us going to Benz to see which team is more futile between the Steelers and Falcons Sunday. Next weekend is a trip to my FIL's mountain house in Cashiers. Then we're flying to Virginia to see my folks for Christmas. My next chance for a sit will be after New Year's, if then.

I've found a few processors that usually have extra for sale. I might go buy an extra and use it to play with making summer sausage or jerky since there's no freezer space. Otherwise, wife doesn't digest beef at all so our red meat diet is venison. Without it, she's chowing on fish, chicken, and veggie protein stuff because beef and pork really don't like her. Having the freezer full to start the new year is actually a big deal for us diet wise!

rugerfan

Me too. Work is kinda crazy right now, holiday season kicks in, and I'm right there with you except for shopping. These days we buy cards and gift cards then mail them, or just ship gifts from Amazon. I'm done with holiday shopping crowds and traffic.

I do appreciate a Christmas parade, lights show, and Helen at Christmas time is a favorite of ours. Right now, I'm still a weekend warrior in the MetroATL area, my hunting grounds are all weekender day or overnight trips. And this weekend is SEC championship game party, then my Steeler fan wife has us going to Benz to see which team is more futile between the Steelers and Falcons Sunday. Next weekend is a trip to my FIL's mountain house in Cashiers. Then we're flying to Virginia to see my folks for Christmas. My next chance for a sit will be after New Year's, if then.

I've found a few processors that usually have extra for sale. I might go buy an extra and use it to play with making summer sausage or jerky since there's no freezer space. Otherwise, wife doesn't digest beef at all so our red meat diet is venison. Without it, she's chowing on fish, chicken, and veggie protein stuff because beef and pork really don't like her. Having the freezer full to start the new year is actually a big deal for us diet wise!
Trust me, I don't enjoy the shopping at all, but we have a daughter to buy for, and grand kids. I am usually the "driver / pack mule" on shopping trips.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
My freezers are slam full. I’m in the woods with my Nephew. I’m not even carrying a gun.

Back40hunter

Congratulations on a good year. A full freezer is no small thing. As for being done in December, well for those of us in NE Georgia it is just now getting time to be serious. It does make it hard with family and other obligations but a guy just has to figure it out. Hope you get that big one patterned.