Seed Drill

kwarner

Is a small seed drill, or a no till drill worth the money for food plots?

I’m in South Georgia and have been looking around for one but can’t find many used.

Did see a field king no till in Alabama and a tar river here in Georgia.

Any advice or first hand experience ?

kwarner

That’s right, I’ve always just used a small spreader and drug over the seeds to cover them up.

The drill just seems to be the way to go. Those I’ve found are in the 3k-4K range.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
How many acres do you plan to plant? What do you plan to plant with the no-till drill? What size of tractor do you have?

Gaswamp

That’s right, I’ve always just used a small spreader and drug over the seeds to cover them up.

The drill just seems to be the way to go. Those I’ve found are in the 3k-4K range.
If you r near cordele there is a man that sells small ones from time to time

kwarner

5 acres or so total probably. I’d like to have one for the time saving factor and they seem to have a better germination rate than broadcast.

I am probably going to go with the tar river.

Dbender

You aren't going to save any time unless you go with a no till. For fall foodplots I'd rather broadcast my seed, you'll get quicker fuller coverage.

Ugahunter2013

I just bought an old John Deere grain drill from a friend for $700. Most of what I have seen for sale are 1k plus. Planting width is 6 1/2 ft. I have not used it yet. I have a few small things to fix on it. You will definitely save money on seed by using a drill.

Ihunt

How fast, what gear are you in when you pull a no-till drill? A or B? 1 or 2?

Is a fair estimate $5K for a new one?

The cheaper Chinese ones that are 6.5ft (Tar River) run about $5700.00-$6500.00 The smaller one is about $4500.00 All depends on where you find one.

A 5ft lite duty Genesis is about $13,000.00

A Great Plains/Land Pride 3P606NT starts about $15,500.00 and goes up from there. This drill needs a 65hp tractor minimum.

Gaswamp

what he said....think they got one sitting out front right now for sale...two or three more in the back that he is working on