Seeking info on hunting leases

Thread starter #1
Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing a tract of land of 117 acres in Paulding County and possibly using the land for lease during hunting season-does anyone have any information on how much income that would bring in during an average hunting season and any other outdoor recreational use outside of hunting season?

Any comments appreciated.

Last edited:
Thread starter #5
I was also thinking of opening an outdoor shooting range on the property as well. I think there is a need for one in the area. Does anyone else think that could be a good idea?

bilgerat

$12 to 18 per acre in paulding co , depends on the size and how its laid out, all pines lower lease rate, mixed with food plot areas, hardwoods and good roads higher lease rate

FlipKing

Leasing it for those prices usually entails year round access though. If you are starting a shooting range on it as well, that would indicate only hunting season access and could hurt the hunting. I think you'd have a harder time finding people to lease it if there were other activities going on the property as well.

FlipKing is right. Mixing a shooting range with a hunting lease could be recipe for conflict. You may be better off selling a few hunts instead of leasing. Let's say you could lease the 117 acres at $20/ac ($2340/year). Instead, you sell 4 hunts at $585 apiece and make the same amount. This way you can operate a shooting range or other pursuits throughout the rest of the year without risking conflict with lease hunters.

DAVE

I was also thinking of opening an outdoor shooting range on the property as well. I think there is a need for one in the area. Does anyone else think that could be a good idea?
Paulding county has a pretty high population, I doubt there are many places where the neighbors are going to go along with a new shooting range. Even long established shooting ranges are constantly in court fighting attempts to shut them down. A lot of people want a firing range but not close to their homes or business.

By the time that you buy the property and set up a qualified shooting range with all of the insurance involved and the very detailed hoops that you must jump through for the county and state, you just lost your rear-end in the process.

First of all, 117 acres is NOT very much land when it comes to leasing hunting rights to more than one person specifically for hunting so your income funds will be fairly limited as such in my opinion.

I think you need to figure out why you want the land. Investment, usage, entertainment, kids, etc.
Leasing hunting rights usually can cover the taxes as KM stated. Land is something you own because you want to walk it, make it produce, and love it. Otherwise, lots better investments than raw land in the boonies.

Jim Boyd

I can see a lease and shooting range as long as lease holders have access to range.

You would have to limit access to non hunt months which would hurt somewhat.

GGO has a good idea, do a few week long hunts but that opens other problems , ie the varying personalities of hunters.

All of this is a great problem to have.

Thread starter #15
Paulding county has a pretty high population, I doubt there are many places where the neighbors are going to go along with a new shooting range. Even long established shooting ranges are constantly in court fighting attempts to shut them down. A lot of people want a firing range but not close to their homes or business.
Are the current outdoor ranges constantly in court? I wasn't aware of that in my area. I only know of 2 ranges, creekside and advanced bullets and I dont think they have issues. Any info you have on that would be greatly appreciated as I wasnt aware of this.

Thread starter #16
I can see a lease and shooting range as long as lease holders have access to range.

You would have to limit access to non hunt months which would hurt somewhat.

GGO has a good idea, do a few week long hunts but that opens other problems , ie the varying personalities of hunters.

All of this is a great problem to have.
What about just an outdoor range?

Jim Boyd

What about just an outdoor range?
Really just your call and how you want to work it.

Biggest challenge would be, obviously, hurt feelings on the part of the hunters
And the fact that you have to limit dates that the range would be open for the non hunters

At lease IMHO.

An outdoor range would not be cost effective in my mind, as mentioned I can see the liability insurance being a profit killer, In my mind simply leasing it would make more sense, as mentioned depending on the terrain, shape of the property, where it is located and how easy or difficult access within the property is would decide the rate you could get for it. I would never lease a property that was also used for a shooting range others had access to, don't think many people would either, you could sell weekend or week long hunts I suppose, but that would bring a whole different set of hassles in my mind.