Seeking input

chrislibby88

Makes me feel a little better.
The coon question was because I figure they fall into small game and I have only heard of hunting them at night.And I wasn't sure which animals were considered fur bearers.
When you stalk do you stay on the roads and trails and look/listen or do you go into the thick and just bust through it?
I have been staying on the trails till I see sign then go into the thicker stuff looking/listening all the while. We did do some heavy thick busting last trip but I didnt yesterday.
I don’t really walk any closed roads, unless it’s for access to the area I want to hunt. Ive shot a few off of fire breaks, but I’m mainly walking in the woods, creek bottoms, or along clear cut/ hardwood transitions. You gotta be where the pigs are, I feel like they pretty much avoid human traffic areas during daylight. If I find a game trail, I will walk it, as long as it heads the direction I need it to, but I’m usually picking through the woods/palmettos/thickets as quietly as possible.

Monroespapa

I have hunted deer there years ago, I know they have some. Are you saying they have a decent population?
I’m not saying that you got a hop out of your truck and shoot one in a half hour, But they have plenty. In fact, DNR has about a 30 foot trap set up in one of the Dove fields.

Barebowyer

I got on hogs my very first time at Hannahatchee. It was a couple of years ago. I slid down a steep ridge and worked into the drainage and briars with a favorable wind. Could have killed some within 25 yards with a gun but had my longbow and no opportunity for me. It's nowhere near flat anywhere I seen...I was near the gun range