Sell me on a Boss Buck 200lb gravity feeder

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
How do you adjust the flow rate with the Boss Buck feeder and is it easy to adjust?

It has two screws on each side of the pipe. You can change the flow rate with the screws between protein and corn.

Run two on my place (300# hopper) they have held up well and no batteries to replace or spinner mechanisms to trouble shoot when they fail. Initially coons would be doing gymnastics on the poles to access the feeding ports. I started greasing the poles and they don’t like getting grease on themselves, as well as making it more difficult to climb. Overall, I’m satisfied with the functionally, 8 years in the field.

Mark K

Banned
Haven’t had any issues with mine. No rodent issues or raccoon issues.
If it sits empty for a short period of time you’ll have to clean out an occasional bird nest, lol.
Didn’t take the deer long to get accustomed to it either.

GottaGetOutdoors

I've sold lots of Boss Buck feeders and can think of one instance when squirrels chewed a hole. It is roto molded plastic - same process used to make Yeti coolers and high end kayaks. The 200-pound round leg version is the entry price point model. It is nowhere near as sturdy as the 350-pound model with square legs. I highly recommend stepping up to a square leg version in either 350 or 600 pounds.

Last edited:

GottaGetOutdoors

This feeder design is virtually coon proof. Made by High Rack Deer Feeder. The one I operate at the house is 3 years old and still looks new. Raccoons cannot get to the feed no matter how hard they try. The guy is located east of Nashville.

1557232762836.png

Last edited:

ThatredneckguyJamie

If you have hogs, the Banks feeders are the way to go.
this!...I had major heartburn about spending that much on a feeder, but after using it and seeing the results I am sold..we mix 50/50 with corn and a protein feed I wont mention the name of to avoid a thread derail...but to the point we have ALOT of hogs and as anyone with hogs is aware they can put a hurting on a feed station..MOST of the hogs can't reach the feed in the banks, we put it just low enough to allow the younger deer to still reach it but just out of reach of all but the biggest hogs. I can promise you that the money you save in feed not lost to greedy pig mouths will make up for the cost of the feeder

Mark K

Banned
Didn’t ask that. The topic was a Boss Buck and a lot are saying hogs can get into it. I know for a fact the younger deer have to stretch to get to a Boss Buck. Just want to know how the hogs are reaching it and what kind of pics they got for proof.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I put C'MERE DEER in the corn and threw some up into the feeding tubes to teach the deer to eat from the tubes. It worked very fast and the bucks started to feed during the day.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Didn’t ask that. The topic was a Boss Buck and a lot are saying hogs can get into it. I know for a fact the younger deer have to stretch to get to a Boss Buck. Just want to know how the hogs are reaching it and what kind of pics they got for proof.

I have a Banks Feed Bank feeder, basically same.thing as the Boss, that mounts on a 4x4. Tubes are 36" off the ground. Filled it a while back and went back a couple days later and it was empty and covered in mud with the ground all around chewed up where they had been rooting. Put up cameras after the fact and found them coming back but no pictures of them actually in it as it was empty.

Saw in another thread someone suggest putting tubes at 44" to keep hogs out. Think next time I fill mine I'm going to find a way to raise the tubes to at least 40" and the lil un's will just have to suck up whatever mama drops.

Also I put a piece of 5" pvc pipe around the post to keep coons from climbing it and doing acrobatics to get to the tubes. To my surprise I started getting pics of them doing acrobatics on the tubes and couldn't figure it out. Finally got a picture of one and low and behold a SECOND was on a low hanging limb, about 3' above the feeder. They we're climbing that tree and jumping down on top of the feeder to get to it. That limb disappeared the next week. No more coon problem

These are my personal experiences. Hope it helps. Good luck.

ThatredneckguyJamie

We dont have a boss buck, ours is Banks and we do have a couple hogs that can reach it, but it sits too tall for most

Mark K

Banned
I have yet to get a pic of a hog reaching my Boss Buck...I do have fawns stretching up to reach it though. I may have stupid lazy pigs though.

ThatredneckguyJamie

I have yet to get a pic of a hog reaching my Boss Buck...I do have fawns stretching up to reach it though. I may have stupid lazy pigs though.
since we mix protein with the corn and wanted the younger deer to be able to reach it as well we have ours lower, maybe 37-38"

buckpasser

A friend of mine doesn’t think a stock boss buck can feed deer until a year or so of age. Does anyone have pics of fawns feeding? I’d love to show him if so. Thanks!