Seminole Co. Ramblings

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lake Seminole is at the highest level this year. Up to the bottom of the dock at Cypress Pond. Rain threatened, but never came. Noticed some boat activity coming by the house today.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Storms that came through here at lake Seminole. Left me with lots of limbs to pick up. Many were dead and still hanging from hurricane Michael of 2018. Neighbor has some dead pines down. Power was out couple times for 30 to 45 minutes each.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Storms that came through here at lake Seminole. Left me with lots of limbs to pick up. Many were dead and still hanging from hurricane Michael of 2018. Neighbor has some dead pines down. Power was out couple times for 30 to 45 minutes each.
I have heard of the acres in size of bream beds in Seminole. We’re they like that,are they still like that? Used to hear a lot of stories in the early 60s about that
lake,fascinating for a kid.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
It's been a few years since I've seen real large bream or shellcracker beds. Probably because the areas where we used to find them, are choked with cattails or other vegetation. Can still find beds in deeper water, or with an airboat. Some with the mud motors can still get to areas where most outboards can't go anymore. Spooner field and the mule lot were great areas, I can't get in those two areas anymore with a bass boat. Less area to fish than we had years ago, because the lake isn't managed for fishing. Two things make Seminole worse now. Almost all the old dead stumps out in the lake have broken off, difficult to see now. The vegetation has been protected by poor management. High water during cold spells, low water level during hot periods. High water protects the vegetation, native and invasive. Low water allows super growth. Several years of this bad pattern has hurt the fishing in Seminole. Duck hunters and Bass tournaments love it like it is. Panfishermen, not so much. Bottom line, I can't get to half the areas that I could get to 30 years ago. Would love to find shellcracker beds and bream beds covering areas as large as a big house.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seminole is full of stumps. Broke off below the surface, covered with hydrilla etc, it makes leaving the channels a huge risk for your boat and motor. Remember, there are stumps out in the big lake too. Hurricane Michael put trees down in some channels between the smaller lakes etc. My area, from Cypress Pond to Grassy Pond has trees in the channels. Best to go through those channels with motor tilted up a bit. Really have to be careful with a pontoon boat. Trees can get the toons, motor, and over hanging limbs can get the top.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
It's been a few years since I've seen real large bream or shellcracker beds. Probably because the areas where we used to find them, are choked with cattails or other vegetation. Can still find beds in deeper water, or with an airboat. Some with the mud motors can still get to areas where most outboards can't go anymore. Spooner field and the mule lot were great areas, I can't get in those two areas anymore with a bass boat. Less area to fish than we had years ago, because the lake isn't managed for fishing. Two things make Seminole worse now. Almost all the old dead stumps out in the lake have broken off, difficult to see now. The vegetation has been protected by poor management. High water during cold spells, low water level during hot periods. High water protects the vegetation, native and invasive. Low water allows super growth. Several years of this bad pattern has hurt the fishing in Seminole. Duck hunters and Bass tournaments love it like it is. Panfishermen, not so much. Bottom line, I can't get to half the areas that I could get to 30 years ago. Would love to find shellcracker beds and bream beds covering areas as large as a big house.
I think of those first years after a lake is impounded as the glory years. The nutrients are at the highest and vegetation(especially in clear water lakes,on sandy land) hasn't taken over. Most anybody can load the boat. It seems to take awhile for the real estate people to sell off all the available land and bring in the crowds. I know a fellow that has fished in the St Johns River lakes since the fifties(I guess he's still with us) in the Lakes of George and the smaller ones above George. That's near Astor,Florida for readers who aren't familiar. He told me stories of the way it was then,what a fishing paradise. People come and build mansions and resorts and things go down hill for the good ole boys in overalls and straw hats. We have more money now,but not as good a life in many ways. Enough of that,thanks for sharing and listening.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ah, the memories of being on big lake George in a 14 foot aluminum boat. Hunted and fished Florida until 82, then left the state. But loved fishing the prairies in the Forest the most. We will never see those long past years again, nor the great conditions we found our lakes and rivers in. Remembering in the 40's and 50's, Dad and I would drink from the rivers and lakes. Better not try that today.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
On our dock this afternoon. Caught several bream and a warmouth. Lost a good shellcracker, and saw others come by. Saw a huge bass swim by, figured about 8 pounds or so, A talapia and a watched a small gator come up by the dock to swallow a fish it had caught. Gator looked to be about 6 feet long. All this after the storms moved out.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Storms are on the way again today. Hope nothing gets damaged this time around. Winds broke the straps on the pontoon top yesterday. I have it tied down today and have ordered new straps.

Attachments

• boat straps .jpg
    boat straps .jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 23

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Storms finally left after noon, then it was a drizzle for couple hours. Turned cool in the 60's. Lake Seminole is down about 10 inches from yesterdays high.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Noticed at the dock. Warmough perch are on the bed. They bed much like bass and don't gang up. A bed here, another yards away. Lake Seminole Warmouth are much lighter in color than those I catch in ponds in Miller Co.

Attachments

• warmouthSem.jpg
    warmouthSem.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 20
  • warmouth.jpg
    warmouth.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 20

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Overcast, light rain off and on. But there are some people out on lake Seminole today. Pontoons, Kayaks and small boats.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Rain since noon, hasn't let up. Still raining at 7:09 this evening. It's been a wet, cool day, not at all friendly to the old bones.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Needed some fresh fish fillets. Went to the dock with hopes. Caught two bass, had other hits, and lost a big fish at the dock because I couldn't get to the net. But that's alright, Four nice fillets along with a couple panfish will make the two of us a meal.

Attachments

• bass .jpg
    bass .jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 11

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nice sunny day on Lake Seminole, but it was a bit too windy. Couldn't get a bass bite today.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Ah, the memories of being on big lake George in a 14 foot aluminum boat. Hunted and fished Florida until 82, then left the state. But loved fishing the prairies in the Forest the most. We will never see those long past years again, nor the great conditions we found our lakes and rivers in. Remembering in the 40's and 50's, Dad and I would drink from the rivers and lakes. Better not try that today.
My dad and I used to go down to South Moon fish camp back in the 80s when I got out of school. We'd always fish Blue creek up to the mouth of Lake George, but never out in it. That is one massive lake. Back then, it was nothing to fill your cooler full of fish. Last time we went was back in 2014, and only my dad and uncle fished while I stayed at camp and cooked. LOL They didn't have much luck the few days we were there. Things really have changed. More people, more problems. Also, Mr. JC Hobbs owned the fish camp back then, and I think his daughter is running it now. We went a lot way back then, and had a great time. Used to eat at a restaurant that had bream carved out of wood on the outside of it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I need a new rabbits foot. Hung three nice bass today, two were huge. None were caught. Fought one about four pounds almost to the net, came loose. Hung into a large bass, she took that line through the thick grass like it wasn't there, just came loose. Hung another big bass later, Came loose after taking drag a few feet. All from my dock on a black plastic worm.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Caught six nice specks in front of our dock this afternoon in a rattletrap lure. Seminole is down to normal levels.