Seminole Co. Ramblings

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sitting on the back porch enjoying a mater sandwich from a tomato that weighed more than a pound. One thick slice made a sandwich. Watching the clouds get dark bottoms and high bright tops. It's going to rain this afternoon. My vegetables, especially the maters are doing very good this year. Forgot the name of this variety, but have some Cherokee Purple maters coming on, with some about to ripen.

Attachments

• maters.jpg
    maters.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 7

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good rains this afternoon. Was throwing some bread to the fish at the dock. Jack fish kept picking some of them off. They were not hitting the shiners, but were taking small bream.

buckmanmike

Rains been benificial here in Randolph Co. Our pond is still about 1 foot low. Hope the dam is not leaking. Few years ago I was getting over 100 gallons per minute on spillway, now its dry. More irrigation in the area maybe the problem. Pond spring fed.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Crop irrigation in my area can dry the entire area surface water up in two weeks. Irrigation has dried us up so, that I hauled water to several mud holes that will hold water the longest. I do this in hopes it will keep game on the property.

Attachments

• haulOct14.jpg
    haulOct14.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 13

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
When I purchased my property at lake Seminole in 1990, we had Whippoorwills and quail. Would hear the whippoorwills at night, and see quail and even rabbits during the day. Not anymore, as people moved in, they brought their cats. The cats keep multiplying, some becoming feral. Not only do they keep whippoorwills and quail from coming back, they're after everything else. At night, feral cats and pets roam the neighborhood climbing all over vehicles. Some even climb trees at night to raid bird nest. I have to tilt the seats on the lawnmower, tractor and golf cart to keep cats from laying in those seats at night. Why? Because I'm allergic to cats, and they make a mess. Cats go all over my boat and shed at night, cat tracks and sand everywhere. Even if it's on your very expensive vehicle. Three cats in my carport tonight at 10:45, brought this subject to mind. Bet cats are a nuisance in many neighborhoods.

Mauser

When I purchased my property at lake Seminole in 1990, we had Whippoorwills and quail. Would hear the whippoorwills at night, and see quail and even rabbits during the day. Not anymore, as people moved in, they brought their cats. The cats keep multiplying, some becoming feral. Not only do they keep whippoorwills and quail from coming back, they're after everything else. At night, feral cats and pets roam the neighborhood climbing all over vehicles. Some even climb trees at night to raid bird nest. I have to tilt the seats on the lawnmower, tractor and golf cart to keep cats from laying in those seats at night. Why? Because I'm allergic to cats, and they make a mess. Cats go all over my boat and shed at night, cat tracks and sand everywhere. Even if it's on your very expensive vehicle. Three cats in my carport tonight at 10:45, brought this subject to mind. Bet cats are a nuisance in many neighborhoods.
They are terrible in the big city of Morgan too. Way to many people feeding them and don't realize the destruction they cause. You can ride around at night and count 40 or more through town and that takes about 20 min to go down every street lol. I hate em with a passion just as much as feral hogs. Tom cats spraying everything. And the folks want to fuss about the couple of dogs roaming town. Gets me mad just thinking about. My wife hates em just as much as me,they got a nest of baby wrens and one baby dove in the last few weeks. The doves have been nesting under our carport since we came home from the hospital with our little girl 4 years ago

Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We don't dare leaving a window down in our vehicles. Tom cats will go in and spray the seats. They also spray all around the sheds, in my bass boat etc. Cats are constantly after the blue birds we have houses around for. So far, we've identified two houses in our neighborhood that promotes the cat problem. The problem was announced in our county newspaper. Nothing has changed.

Mauser

Too many snowflakes for it to ever happen but we need to be like Australia when it comes feral cats. 34 species extinct since cats arrived there. :biggestshoot:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Put a camera out to monitor what comes into the yard at night. Last night, got several house cats, one possum. One Doberman with a collar. The cats are the only animals that left a mess. Sand all over the tops of our vehicles, sliding down the windshields etc. We don't have any pets, but when we did, we kept them home. They were not allowed to mess with the neighbors. Guess most people with loose pets, see em laying around the yard and house all day. Never figure what they are doing all night. The night activity wears them out, that's why they lay around the house all day during daylight.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seminole is still low, putting too much vegetation on the surface in many places. But we can see more stumps now.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
@Son

Airsoft. Those airsoft toy guns will suprise you. Set up a sniper nest. Whichever tom cats you pop with a airsoft rifle won't come back. Almost like hunting :biggestshoot:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My outdoor column this week is about house cats and feral cats. Can only hope some of my neighbors read the newspaper..

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Down to the dock today, water still low, about one foot below what it was two weeks ago. Yellow flies are abundant.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
This morning was 68, past 80 by noon. Sitting on the dock this morning watching fish, small fish. Corp airboat came idling by, appeared to be just looking things over. He came from Cypress Pond, went towards Hickory Pond, hasn't came back. Might have gone on around the island.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lake Seminole continues to be low, but check out the rain coming from the west today. If we get all that, the waters will be muddy again.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Radar has shown heavy rain several times here at Lake Seminole. Well, it's past 8:30 PM and we haven't seen a good rain yet. It's been overcast most of the day, with a slight sprinkle now and then.