Seminole Co. Ramblings

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You don`t ever know for sure what boat the Corp might be in.

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The lake was really low today, wind blowing in gust. Only saw a couple boats go by our dock. Wind and a shower now and then with very little water caused me to stay home. And mow the yard. Some of the super snoopers are driving Park Ranger trucks when checking docks from land.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Effective July 1, 2021 the government has found a way to get more of your money. A park pass will be required at Sealy's Point and Reynolds Landing park to use the ramp. An annual park pass for Ga residents can be purchased for 20 bucks. Non-residents will cost 30 bucks. A daily charge will be 3 bucks if you don't have the annual pass.
Cummins Landing will see a change too, that's at the end of highway 39. The park and landing will be leased by DNR and the Corp. A pass will be required to launch there as well when the lease is finalized. For more information, you can call 229 524 2878.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Effective July 1, 2021 the government has found a way to get more of your money. A park pass will be required at Sealy's Point and Reynolds Landing park to use the ramp. An annual park pass for Ga residents can be purchased for 20 bucks. Non-residents will cost 30 bucks. A daily charge will be 3 bucks if you don't have the annual pass.
Cummins Landing will see a change too, that's at the end of highway 39. The park and landing will be leased by DNR and the Corp. A pass will be required to launch there as well when the lease is finalized. For more information, you can call 229 524 2878.

Well dang. And they still don`t have the dock put back at Cummings. That`s right by our cabin and the only one I use other than Saunders Slough.

I`m about ready to sell out and find a place at Wewa. A lot has changed here since the 1970s. Most for the worst too.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Said they were rebuilding the dock at Cummins. The fee would be to offset cost.. We know about fees. Gov has enough money to build that dock without a fee. Guess they had rather waste the extra money on stimulus buying votes. I've gotten to where I'm not comfortable leaving my truck and boat trailer at the Slough while fishing. Same for couple other ramps. MIght come back and be missing a trailer, tool box, battery, tires etc.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I let the wife drop me off at some ramps and take the truck and trailer back home. Then may have her come for me at another ramp, depends on how far i go fishing.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Said they were rebuilding the dock at Cummins. The fee would be to offset cost.. We know about fees. Gov has enough money to build that dock without a fee. Guess they had rather waste the extra money on stimulus buying votes. I've gotten to where I'm not comfortable leaving my truck and boat trailer at the Slough while fishing. Same for couple other ramps. MIght come back and be missing a trailer, tool box, battery, tires etc.

I`ve about gotten to where I put in at Cummins, run the boat to my boathouse, and walk back to the ramp to get my truck and trailer and bring em back to the cabin where I know they`ll be safe.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
No rain at the lake today. Lots of rain north and south of us. Lake is up a bit, probably a couple inches. Still low though.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seminole this afternoon, the lake is up a bit, many stumps will be out of sight.

Attachments

• rainbow .jpg
    rainbow .jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 20

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is how it looked after hurricane Michael west of my dock. All that came from east of my dock. Went across my dock without causing any damage. Amazed me. Neighbor on my west removed all this, and FEMA hauled it off.

Attachments

• Brucesroof.jpg
    Brucesroof.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 24

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is the dock the hurricane destroyed east of me

Attachments

• brucesdock.jpg
    brucesdock.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 18

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s still hard for me to believe that our dock and boathouse survived. Good thing it did because it`s grandfathered in and the Corp wouldn`t allow us to put it back as far out as it is now.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Can understand regulations, but some are not needed, some go too far. We're all regulated because of a few who don't use common sense.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
BIL and I built my home at the lake in 2002, moved in the day before Christmas of 2002. Built the new dock four years ago. Wish I had lived on the banks of Seminole back many years ago, before the weeds and cattails took over some of the best fishing areas. Monolithic slab, 5/12 roof with an 8 1/2 feet attic. 2200 sq ft and built with every feature I could think of that would be elderly friendly. Things I had learned working on other peoples house, building etc. I retired at the age of 75.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    647.6 KB · Views: 16
  • back side.jpg
    back side.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 16
  • dockthree.jpg
    dockthree.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20190723_143701491.jpg
    IMG_20190723_143701491.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 15
  • house15.jpg
    house15.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 15

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Son, this place was something else back in the 1970`s and early 80`s. And from the pictures my Father in Law showed me, it was pure Heaven in the early 1960s when he was fishing it.

He bought his place in 1963 and built a little cabin on it. There was nothing here, then he said. Glad The Redhead inherited it.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Son, this place was something else back in the 1970`s and early 80`s. And from the pictures my Father in Law showed me, it was pure Heaven in the early 1960s when he was fishing it.

He bought his place in 1963 and built a little cabin on it. There was nothing here, then he said. Glad The Redhead inherited it.
Nic,when you gonna buy us a time machine?I want to go several places real bad!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I began fishing Seminole in 85, and it was great then. No carp gates and I had a local fellow named Percy Jones who taught me how to get around. We could catch fish anywhere, even in Cypress Pond to Grassy Pond, Mule lot etc. Too many areas one can't go with a regular boat these days. Apparently the Corp could care less, they merely focus on water flow. I suggested draw downs during freezing weather, but they don't listen. A draw down during cold snaps wont eliminate the grass, but would certainly knock it down. Now I'm seeing hyacinths coming down the Chattahoochee and Spring Creek. Somebody had to bring those up here. That's not good they can take over areas too.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I started fishing it around 79, and got serious with the lake in 1982. There wasnt much to the hydrilla and elephant pads then. White sand bottom around the dock we own now. Totally different place nowadays. The Corp doesn`t like me much.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I started fishing it around 79, and got serious with the lake in 1982. There wasnt much to the hydrilla and elephant pads then. White sand bottom around the dock we own now. Totally different place nowadays. The Corp doesn`t like me much.
I'm not their favorite either. Have written them up many times in the Donalsonville News over the years.