SGI Post hurricane?

Spinnerbait

Looking for some advice here from anyone willing to pitch in. I have had a trip planned for this weekend to St George Island with my son for months now. This is a birthday trip for him and we have been planning to take kayaks and just fish non stop, some surf, mostly bay and might try the old bridge as well. Obviously conditions down there are pretty rough right now. The weather actually looks pretty good for the weekend but I have no clue what it will be like after sally rolls through. Any advice from the experts? I’m thinking we should probably reschedule but he will be crushed. Thanks.

fi8shmasty

After a hurricane it will be hot. And there will be plenty of shells on the beach. Go and you will hear them up!!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I'd expect muddy water and that generally is no good for fishing down there. You could probably do ok on reds with cut bait, but I'd generally expect it to be much slower than normal.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Water is coming across the road at the Stumphole on Cape San Blas.

CamoDawg85

Water is coming across the road at the Stumphole on Cape San Blas.

Hate to hear that Nic. The family and I have our annual vacation trip planned this Saturday through the following and are renting a house on the cape for the first time ever, primarily because our annual spot in Mexico Beach is no longer. Hope Sally took it easy on the Cape. I guess we’ll see come Saturday afternoon. Was planning on dragging my 20’ center console down but am rethinking that if fishing is to be subpar.

Redbeardless

I can't say for certain, since I am not down there, but I would go. The weather and water is usually beautiful after these storms pass. I have been through several over the years and every time, the strong currents from the storm sweep the dirty water out quickly. Sometimes there is a lot of mess washed up on the beach, but as far away as this one was from St. George Island, I wouldn't think it would be too bad. Should be a great trip!!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hate to hear that Nic. The family and I have our annual vacation trip planned this Saturday through the following and are renting a house on the cape for the first time ever, primarily because our annual spot in Mexico Beach is no longer. Hope Sally took it easy on the Cape. I guess we’ll see come Saturday afternoon. Was planning on dragging my 20’ center console down but am rethinking that if fishing is to be subpar.

Good luck and be safe.

Spinnerbait

Thanks for the help guys. Im Gonna check and if it’s not dire and as long as emergency crews don’t need the room we will probably give it a shot.

CamoDawg85

Just checked the marine forecast out and it’s gonna be a whippin’ as far out as the forecast goes. DOH!!!

Spinnerbait

I ended up calling a few guides down there that I trust and they all recommended that we dont come. The river is in flood stage and rising. We decided to push it back a little in hopes of a better weekend. Thanks again for the advice.

HuntinJake_23

If you do go and fish the island side pier, get your hands on some blue crab for bait. We were down there September 7-12, pre hurricane. I managed a 37 1/2” black drum from the pier.

Attachments

• 5D64AC52-9417-4F97-AFAB-07399CEEB485.jpeg
    5D64AC52-9417-4F97-AFAB-07399CEEB485.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 21

bany

Just spent a week down on the cape. Gulf cleared up really well by Saturday am. St Joe bay looked good but apalach was stained heavy. For all the boats on st Joe there wasn’t one fish part at the cleaning station at 6pm
caught mostly baby fish on the surf Friday and Saturday 17 1/2” red was the big fish.

bany

Stump hole was getting worked over, we got a salt bath 3 times passing thru.
some of the reclaimed beach got reclaimed by Sally.