Shark

scshep2002

Banned
Caught a few sharks today and cut em up into small bite sized pieces. Any suggestions on how to fix em? They are soaking in milk overnight like the mate on the boat told me. He said to deep fry em after they soaked all night, but I am sure someone on here has a recipe :cheers:

scshep2002

Banned
Well I am glad no one gave me any other recipe, because the one the mate gave me on the boat turned out awesome!!! I cant wait to catch more of them mean ole sharks and fry em up!! If i would have known how well it would have come out I would taken all the sharks no one wanted and taken home about 20 of them!!!

Dont pass on them if you get the chance!!!!

gabuckeye

With sharks it's best to cut the tail end of the fish off and let em bleed. That is suppose to remove the chemicals that cause the bad flavor. I try to clean them as soon as possible, remove any dark red meat and then soak them in milk before frying. I have had some that is fairly good but I'd much rather eat other fish. There is also a limit on shark in Florida.

scshep2002

Banned
I kept one and the boy kept one, thye let alot go. Only took what we was going to prepare, but it was so good I will keep more next time to eat.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I always gut and bleed mine ASAP and then place in ice. I soak in milk to remove any uric acid flavor and then grill. The firm meat is really easy to grill. Add your favorite spices while cooking.

firebiker

Filet Mignon

slice them up in "1" inch steaks Broil them in Butter & Lemon Juice, whoa Awesome. the Filet Mignon of the Ocean :cheers:

scshep2002

Banned
I would have said you were all crazy until last night!!! It was some of th ebest eating I have ever had!!! Going back on a shark trip this Friday night to load up on some more lol Cant beat it at $25 for a 4 hour trip!!! :)

Deepcreekdawg

shark fishing

Where do you go out from and how many can go on the boat? At 25.00 for 4 hours thats a heck of a price. Whats the limits?

O

OFD2Truck

Glad they tasted good! If you encounter any foul odor or bad taste, while bleeding a shark, cut both sides of the anus, you will find a gland in there that can taint the meat, we call it a stink glad but I cant tell you the scientific name of the glad. Soak all night in BUTTERMILK while keeping the chuncks into no bigger than 2" cubes or strips if you prefer. Down here in Fl, the water is slap full of sharks. The head boats that came in last week were loaded with sharks, cant keep em off the line. We are experiencing a bad "thermocline" starting in about 40' of water. Have to run to the gulf stream to get clear water. Good luck and enjoy

scshep2002

Banned
I went last saturday on the head boat and we did load up with sharks!! Couldnt get away from them. captain tried to move and move but sharks sharks and more sharks!!! I dont know the limit, just took one for me and one for the boy. But next time I may just keep two or three each :)

scshep2002

Banned
OH yeah boat was Miss Canaveral, out of Cape Canaveral. I think the head boat is 86 ft, but check out the web site. type in Miss canaveral and it should pull up the boats web site and info. Been twice and loved both trips!!

O

OFD2Truck

Just realized you were from Clermont. Have two daughters that go to Lost Lake elementary and a son that goes to Windy Hill. The rare time I go on party boats I like the Ocean Obsession. Faster and the capt will put you on decent fish, even for a head boat. A bunch of guys I work with went last year got a few grouper, snapper and even a flounder of two. Give them a try and no I dont work for them or have any affiliation with the boat. Just fished both and found the OO to be a better boat.

scshep2002

Banned
Where is the Obsession out out of? Is that the other head boat at the same marina? I moved to Oviedo in June, but know the schools. My boy would have gone there.

O

OFD2Truck

The obsession is located just west of "Grills" the restaurant and bar. Give em a try, I too have fished all the boats there at some point and the OO is by far the best. We have a group of 30 firemen going tomorrow ( I cant because I am closing on a house :( ) If you ever give it a try, pm me and maybe I can meet you over there :clap: I will probably wait until the sharks move out and some of the grouper and snapper move in to the ledges. Good luck and if you need directions.......let me know...

scshep2002

Banned
Sounds good to me. Maybe I will give it a shot one day. I will pm ya next time we decide to go!!!! I would rather wait form some tasty grouper and snapper also!!! But a tasty shark wouldnt be abad thing lol