Sharks!

Robust Redhorse

IMHO, sharks are being "overprotected" now.

I can hardly get a fish to the boat anymore without a shark grabbing it. Especially in the gulf.

A few years ago in Louisiana, I could see at least one shark on the surface every square 100 yds in every direction for as far as I could see with binoculars. Nothing else could be caught. They even destroyed every artificial trolling lure I had on the boat!

Anyone else having problems with them?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Sharked countless times in the gulf a couple weeks ago.
They killed 3 or 4 fish for every one we did, keeper or not.

Saw a 8'er bite this one in half at boatside. Didnt even pull drag. Illegal for us to even keep the headmeat, cheeks and throat, so all that got fed to the shark also.
Sharks are definitely killing more fish than recreational fishermen.

Attachments

• 20240525_153458.jpg
    20240525_153458.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 40

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I believe you can keep 2 in most places and they eat pretty good.

arrendale8105

I haven’t been this year yet in the gulf but will be this weekend weather permitting. 100% it’s getting worse and ridiculous. Especially in the last 2 years. Dolphins worse than sharks for me. I absolutely hate dolphins. Last weekend of the fall season last year I hit 11 different numbers trying to get one last limit of snapper because of fighting dolphins. When they show up might as well pack it in.

crackerdave

For me,as a snorkel spearfisher in the Keys, 'cudas were the enemy on the shallow reefs.

There's a lot of pressure on those reefs,and they are overfished anyway.It's that way all over Florida....too many people using the resources.
Except redfish. There are huge numbers of them. Florida is overpopulated with redfish and yankees.

Last edited:

flatsmaster

Sharks are bad off the east coast of Florida also
They have about ruined light tackle for tarpon on the outside east or west coast .. we went down to Stuart and ran out to try for Permit on the wreck before moving back in for giant snook and nothing but sharks … in the Keys fishing for yellowtail in seems the Cuda is the culprit … the bottlenose around Daytona are about trained if your fishing docks along ICW that there getting fed … hard to get a snook back into its hiding spot before Flipper says snack time

dmac

I fished at Cape San Blas for three weeks in May. Fished the bay and surf. Lost several fish to sharks. We saw and caught more sharks than anything else. The fishing was good but the sharks have become a real nuisance.

Robust Redhorse

I haven’t been this year yet in the gulf but will be this weekend weather permitting. 100% it’s getting worse and ridiculous. Especially in the last 2 years. Dolphins worse than sharks for me. I absolutely hate dolphins. Last weekend of the fall season last year I hit 11 different numbers trying to get one last limit of snapper because of fighting dolphins. When they show up might as well pack it in.

When I get my terminal diagnosis:

In the bow of my boat, M-1 Garand in hand, and my best buddy driving:

- dolphin makes one jump (I know where he is)
- 2nd jump - BANG
- 3rd jump - Rosy colored geyser from the blowhole!

Reload, repeat...

Last edited: