Sharping Stones

turkeyhook

Does anybody used sharping stones? I want to learn to sharpen my knifes freehand to get them razor sharp. What stones do I need? Can anybody guide me in the right direction ?I don't want to buy every stone, because I hadn't got the funds. I am not interest in the work sharp or any others just stones.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Ceramic is in your kitchen next to any knife.
Flip a plate over and start trying to slice off the base rim of the plate.
Then grab an old leather belt to finish.
After that find a course stone and an old knife you don’t care for.
That outta get you moving. Look online for more technically advanced advice. A belt sander will sharpen a blade also. Use your resources.
I inherited or was given all my stones so I don’t know where to buy them new.

Anvil Head

Really good stones are usually quite pricey. You might have better luck checking yard sales if you want the price down. Don't be afraid to pick up a slightly swayback stone as they can be redressed on coarse and medium wet or dry auto-body sandpaper and a flat surface.
As Mr. B advised practice with old blades like old kitchen knives, etc. until you get it right. Be aware that different blade geometries require different approaches to acheive their best potential, but overall that final sharpening bevel is what makes the diff in razor - not razor.

Hillbilly stalker

The best I have found are these wet sanding blocks in the auto body aisle at Wal Mart. They are 4x3 and around an 1 1/2 thick. You can use them wet or dry and just wipe them off. They have a very sturdy foam in the middle. Each comes with 2 different grits. I've used them for a couple years now and love them. Their great for a convex or Scandinavian grind.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 52

Gregfosterid

The best I have found are these wet sanding blocks in the auto body aisle at Wal Mart. They are 4x3 and around an 1 1/2 thick. You can use them wet or dry and just wipe them off. They have a very sturdy foam in the middle. Each comes with 2 different grits. I've used them for a couple years now and love them. Their great for a convex or Scandinavian grind.
I did not think that I would meet such a discussion on the forum. But I support! This stone is really good. I saw it recently, I decided to buy it for the test and I think it will stay with me for life:D

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
No expert on stones by any means. Matter of fact, the one I use was a freebie from Copenhagen. I do however really like to finish my work with the ceramic filament out of a big light bulb. It really does a nice job.

Jimmypop

I use a 1x30 in. belt sander from Harbor Freight ( $50) and a small whetstone. Carefully grind on both sides until you have a very fine wire edge . Remove the wire edge . I use the fine side of the whetstone. That's as sharp as that piece of metal will ever be.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to find good stones nowadays. The diamond ones are about the best that you can find commonly. Hit it with that, then some ceramic, and strop it on leather to finish it, and you can shave a rat with it without waking it up. :)

Anvil Head

Anyone ever use one of these? I've got an oil stone, but it doesn't give me what I'm looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081RSJHL...olid=1Q4TYB4478Y85&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Looks like a really nice set of stones, but unless you are really versed in serious hand sharpening with stones all but two of the stones will get any real use. The 400/1000 will do what most folks are capable of achieving under normal conditions. The rest are just paper weights. Proper stone sharpening that would use the complete set requires a lot of patience and practice.

Tom W.

I always liked a good white crockstick. I have an ancient set in the shed. I was given some black ones for Christmas once, they mysteriously disappeared.........all they did was dull my knives.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I use a silly made in china 4" double sided diamond sharpener by smiths. Course on one side and fine on the other. It works ok

Artfuldodger

My soft Washita stone is pink/white and the hard Arkansas stone is white. My ceramic rods are Case Safety-Sharp.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use a very old bench stone to sharpen my knives when they rarely need serious work. Mostly I use a ceramic rod or butcher steel to tetch em up. I try not to ever let em get real dull.

Anvil Head

Dull knife is just a crappy screw driver with a pretty handle!

Tom W.

That will cut you severely and not very neatly.....

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
High Pressure Sodium light bulb quartz core;
F8F71ALI7W1TCA6.LARGE.jpg
Now that's interesting. Is that something commercially available as a knife sharpener, or did you make that yourself?