shellcracker spawning in ponds & small lakes?

oldfella1962

Okay, a couple of ponds I fish have had bass on the spawning beds for well over a month. That makes sense, the water temperature has been up & down along with the actual temperature, so the bass spawning has been pretty stretched out where I fish. I'm not a shellcracker expert, but do shellcrackers (in any pond or small lake that has bass too) spawn after the bass spawn? In other words, do shellcrackers prefer a warmer spawning temperature than do bass? Do they use the same spawning areas with a sand bottom where it's available? Do they generally spawn in waters deeper than do bass?

Bluegills I caught last week were bursting with eggs. Will the shellcrackers be spawning soon or are they spawning now? Bear in mind I'm comparing apples-to-apples on any given pond I fish. What is the "order of march" concerning which species spawns first, second, etc?

klerchkatcher

Bluegills and Shellcrackers usually spawn after the bass. Years ago in an In-Fisherman magazine, it said 72 F water temp was prime to for bluegills to spawn. Now that is when they are "spawning". The bluegills can be caught pre-spawn in the areas close to were the will spawn. They like a sand bottom to make their beds.

oldfella1962

Bluegills and Shellcrackers usually spawn after the bass. Years ago in an In-Fisherman magazine, it said 72 F water temp was prime to for bluegills to spawn. Now that is when they are "spawning". The bluegills can be caught pre-spawn in the areas close to were the will spawn. They like a sand bottom to make their beds.

Thanks! That makes sense then that the bluegills are bursting with eggs since they will be spawning now as the bass are finishing up. Now I need to figure out if the shellcrackers (in the same body of water) will spawn shorty after that or what.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Shellcrackers will spawn at the same time. Depending on water clarity the bigger shellcrackers will spawn deeper. 6-8 feet for clearer water. But I've caught shellcrackers spawning right on the bank in a 1 1/2 of water too. Shellcrackers seem to like red wigglers and nightcrawlers on the bottom versus crickets for bream.
Don't forget pink worms also... IF one can find them, that's my go to for them.

oldfella1962

Okay I researched it and shellcrackers like 75-78 degrees for spawning. So I guess I have a little bit to wait. Fine by me, it's been SO WINDY lately and it looks like it won't let up for a couple more weeks. I'll catch up on outside chores for now and use my time wisely.

oldfella1962

Shellcrackers will spawn at the same time. Depending on water clarity the bigger shellcrackers will spawn deeper. 6-8 feet for clearer water. But I've caught shellcrackers spawning right on the bank in a 1 1/2 of water too. Shellcrackers seem to like red wigglers and nightcrawlers on the bottom versus crickets for bream.

Oh no doubt red worms are great for bluegills and shellcrackers. Crickets seem like a hassle to me. So far the best worms I've found are Dancin' Rascals 30 big red worms
per container at Walmart. Thick, plump, healthy every time.

Sidenote I was catching way more shellcrackers in October/November than I have so far beginning February until now. I don't know what the deal is with that.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Don't forget pink worms also... IF one can find them, that's my go to for them.
I saw a program where the host used dye to make his minnows fluorescent green.
I also bought some dyed worms at Walmart in Clayton ga.

across the river

Bluegill will spawn multiple times all summer. Shell Cracker will spawn once and typically after the bass have spawned and bluegill have already spawned a time or two. Usually catch them bedding in May at some point.

Last edited:

Old Yapper

Okay I researched it and shellcrackers like 75-78 degrees for spawning. So I guess I have a little bit to wait. Fine by me, it's been SO WINDY lately and it looks like it won't let up for a couple more weeks. I'll catch up on outside chores for now and use my time wisely.
We can still get out there somewhere, fight the wind in the big arms of the creeks and catch crappies. If I can get south of some long rip rap when wind is coming out of the north, I can usually stir up something. Getting back to the ramp in my small boat with a 6HP and not getting wet from sloshing over the bow is another story...
My Dad used to say...."Somehow, you just gotta' end up being miserable out there to catch crappies". (lots of profundity in that)
Anyone who's thrown at the sunken tree "over there" and watched the jig get wind blown up to 10 yards away from the target knows about all that.:)

oldfella1962

Bluegill will spawn multiple times all summer. Shell Cracker will spawn once and after typically after the bass have spawned and bluegill have already spawned a time or two. Usually catch them bedding in May at some point.

good to know! I'm pretty pumped up about that!

James12

We’ve dug more wigglers up this year around the house than in last years. Very damp, mild winter I suppose helped. We’ve had as many as we could ever need. That and the meal worms we raise (for our bearded dragon) work great! Crickets on the river, wigglers in the pond for us!

OwlRNothing

Most times the shellcrackers will spawn after the bluegills and with them ( in different locations in the lake/pond). May full moon usually sees just 'gills spawning with other bream species and the shellcrackers in June and July. Shellcrackers are great fun on a fly rod if you can get them to take a fly. A #14 black or olive wooly bugger works well and if you'll put some floatant on it so you can fish it super slowly with lots of twitches, this has worked best for me. YMMV on all of this though, depending on your body of water and the weather, etc.

Last edited:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Last year at West Point, the shellcracker's went on bed around the 21-22nd of May (week of the full moon). I saw more last year than I have in a really long time. I was able to fill the cooler a couple different times.

oldfella1962

Thanks for the info everyone! Yes in the ponds I fish right now the bluegills and redbreast are spawning, so in about a week or two the shellcrackers should be starting up. I think the next full moon is 15 May so (according to what I'm reading) the heaviest spawning should be one week before through one week after the full moon, assuming water temperature being optimal of course. I'm going to put fresh line on my ultralight reel first, because those big shellcrackers are no joke! :D

crackerdave

Thanks for the info everyone! Yes in the ponds I fish right now the bluegills and redbreast are spawning, so in about a week or two the shellcrackers should be starting up. I think the next full moon is 15 May so (according to what I'm reading) the heaviest spawning should be one week before through one week after the full moon, assuming water temperature being optimal of course. I'm going to put fresh line on my ultralight reel first, because those big shellcrackers are no joke! :D
They are very strong for their size!