Shellman area advice

Hey folks. I have a place rented for5 days on south side of Blackbeard creek in two weeks. We have a dock but no boat. Might rent a conoe but will mostly be fishing/crabbing off the dock. Can anyone offer a little advice on what to fish for in that area this time of year? Bait and technique. Thanks for any help!

jasper181

The crabbing should continue to be good through september, my favorite time is last 2 hours of incoming- first 2 hours of outgoing that way when the kids have had enough the oysters are starting to show and I can catch a few fish before heading back, but any moving water can work.

The inshore fishing will continue to get better as the end of summer approaches, you shouldnt have any problems catching some redfish, possibly a flounder or two. Without a boat it will be a little more difficult to get to many trout as they havent really started their big migration back into the creeks but the redfish in the creeks are finally getting legal after a summer of feeding. If you can get your hands on a kayak then you can fish the creeks and mud flats , look for cleanish water at the mouth of feeder creeks that have signs of life, around oyster beds and areas like that. My favorite tides for reds is last 2 hrs of outgoing and 1st 2 of incoming. Since you will probably limited to what you can carry id bring some jerk shad soft plastics, gulp swimming minnows and things life that.

fuelman1

Use a different map to see what creek you're on. Google names everything in the area Blackbeard Creek. Blackbeard Creek actually separates Blackbeard and Sapelo islands.

@ fuelman. I see what you mean. EVERYTHING is called Blackbeard around there! Never noticed that before. Anyway it's the one running east-west from the sound out to 95. It is supposed to be a little west of the cut at pelican point/The fish dock .
All good stuff Jasper. Tks. I guess he shrimp, mud minnows and chicken necks ( for the crab) should be All I need for live bait? Where is the closest bait/tackle shop?

fuelman1

You can buy frozen bait and some tackle at the Ace Hardware in Eulonia. The closest live bait will be Pine Harbor Marina. As the crow flies it's right across the river from you if you're staying on the Sapelo River. You'll have to drive all the way around to get there. Try using Bing Maps. It has the correct names for the rivers and creeks. And try The Fish Dock. Pretty good food. They have a clam appetizer that's clams that are farmed right out in the sound and processed next door. It's nice to sit outside and have dinner and watch the river go by.

GaG8tor

Crabbing is pretty good right now. We kayak fish and have mostly been catchWhiting and Flounder. If you wanna venture out a little you can go up to Harris Neck and fish Barbour Island River. Decent fishing from the dock and if ya walk up to the north side of the US Fisheries Service dock there’s a trail that takes you down to some concrete rubble that I think was an old bridge. We’ve caught just about everything in that area. Same tactics jasper181 says work for just about anything around here.

BriarPatch99

Use a different map to see what creek you're on. Google names everything in the area Blackbeard Creek. Blackbeard Creek actually separates Blackbeard and Sapelo islands.

I am trying to get a group effort going to see if we can get Google to "fix" the mess they have made with all Georgia Coastal areas ....

please join in complaining ....maybe we can get this fixed .....

Bing Maps does not have this problem....

GaG8tor

There’s an app called Maps Plus. It’s pretty cool and street and river names are accurate. I started using it for work a couple of years ago. It has measuring tools and all sorts of cool stuff. I also downloaded Navionics and did the subscription for $21.99 per year. It turns any mobile device basically into a chart plotter.