Shock springs yes or no?

Heath

Your first traps were efficient and bedded to perfection I’m sure. The other 99.9% of us wouldn’t advise a beginner to start out by adding something else under a trap. Never said they were impossible or didn’t serve a purpose or couldn’t be bedded. You go ahead and help him out. I’ll stay quiet!

furtaker

Your first traps were efficient and bedded to perfection I’m sure. The other 99.9% of us wouldn’t advise a beginner to start out by adding something else under a trap. Never said they were impossible or didn’t serve a purpose or couldn’t be bedded. You go ahead and help him out. I’ll stay quiet!
And if you'll actually read my posts instead of jumping to conclusions, you'll see that I said that they certainly aren't necessary, but I use them and like them...

mossyoakpro

I don't use them...but I am pondering it with the drags, but I do't know if I need one with the length of chain I run on them. On my staked traps I use a short chain and a mid swivel that really helps with any tangling...I trap where there is a lot of grass on the roads and they can get tangled up pretty bad with without the mid swivel...out of 3 swivels, 1 of them always seems to work even with grass wrapped up in the chain.

Best of luck and keep those questions coming!!!

A good all in one spring and swivel is the pawsitrip spring/swivel. Probably the only spring option I haven't used but I have used the non swivel version.
If I ever get round to setting up another batch of traps and willing to go all out ($) those will be on the chestnut ring.

CritterCatcher

That is exactly why I keep saying do what works for you. Even if somebody rides along with me I tell them "now this is how I do it. So this will be a starting point for you but as you go you will change how you do it so that it works for you". It is great to get ideas from other trappers but don't get caught up in all the fancy stuff. Keep it simple!
I wish I could like this more than once. This is good advice.

You could put a set on a clean concrete slab and a dang raccoon will find a way to foul it up. LOL

Once had a tech learn the hard way about coons. He set a caged coon in the back of the truck and closed the topper. When he got to the house he discovered that Mr coon had been able to reach the techs coveralls and proceeded to pull them through a 1×1 mesh into the cage with him.

mossyoakpro

You could put a set on a clean concrete slab and a dang raccoon will find a way to foul it up. LOL

Once had a tech learn the hard way about coons. He set a caged coon in the back of the truck and closed the topper. When he got to the house he discovered that Mr coon had been able to reach the techs coveralls and proceeded to pull them through a 1×1 mesh into the cage with him.

Seen that happen with a coyote...had a tarp over a pen once and the coyote worked through the night to pull the entire tarp into the pen and shred it. I also had one eat a rubber truck bed mat I had down in the floor of the pen to keep the feet good....I now have a wooden floor in my pen so at least I can repair it when they eat it. Never figured a critter could pass a rubber mat through but I seen it with my own 2 eyes! They have stomachs of steel!!

mossyoakpro

Never caged a coyote but I doubt I would put anything past them. They're definitely survivors.

I live market them to the fox pen guys....I park my pen under a barn now after the tarp incident. I don't really like to handle them but the live market helps pay for my obsession somewhat.

I looked into that and have taken tips from it on my gear but because I'm dependant on my phone ringing to get the jobs and not longlining or trapping large tracts I never accumulate enough to make it worth the effort of keeping them alive.
I wish I could be a one species, either coyote or beaver, trapper but I take what comes in.

mossyoakpro

I looked into that and have taken tips from it on my gear but because I'm dependant on my phone ringing to get the jobs and not longlining or trapping large tracts I never accumulate enough to make it worth the effort of keeping them alive.
I wish I could be a one species, either coyote or beaver, trapper but I take what comes in.

Yeah, it's really not worth it unless you have 3 or more to deliver....I put mine in a covered dog box in my truck and transfer them to a pen that is mounted on a trailer when I get home. I can stuff 4 in my box to make it an easier trip rather than drag my trailer down the road to the buyer....you get some funny looks going down the road with live coyotes that are visible. LOL

furtaker

Another good tip that I've learned is to trim your spring pins if they are extra long or if you are using a 2 coil trap. A chain link can get caught in it and render the swivels useless. I've had this happen a couple of times and the results are not good.

An extra swivel in the middle of the chain might help with this too.