Shocking DNR Experience...<")))><

Nothin but Fish

Most have little idea what goes on behind the scenes to help ensure we fish heads have something to stretch our string...

Today I had the privilege of riding in the shock boat and assisting with a shock mission on Lanier. These guys had already arrived at the ramp when I got there and had both shock boats launched. They were filling the hauling tank used to transport fish to the hatchery so they could grow more. This is one of the tanks that the Lanier Striped Bass Coalition in conjunction with other clubs donated money for and is used to haul stripers, bass, walleye etc.:flag:

We shoved off in the dark and were working in minutes to capture some stripers who’s services were needed at Richmond Hill Hatchery. During the process, weights, measurements and scales were collected from all fish captured and those not needed were promptly returned to stretch our string. The amount of bait in areas was unreal. The largest fish we weighed was 19.5 lbs.

My hat is off to the guys in Gainesville and Burton hatchery who support the entire northern part of the state as well as their leaders in Social Circle.

A few pics....

Attachments

• IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 2,495
  • IMG_4561.JPG
    IMG_4561.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,529
  • IMG_4569.JPG
    IMG_4569.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,489
  • IMG_4571.JPG
    IMG_4571.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 2,527
  • IMG_4573.JPG
    IMG_4573.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,498
  • IMG_4579.JPG
    IMG_4579.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 2,542
  • IMG_4575.JPG
    IMG_4575.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 2,509

Nothin but Fish

They are getting some "eyes" in Lanier too

Check out this walleye that is over 6 lbs after she laid her eggs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,424

brett30030

Is that our new biologist with Chris?

Cool!!

chambers270

That is neat, I would love to go with them one day just to see what showed up.

PappyHoel

Looks fun!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Definitely a cool trip! I was able to help out during the Brown trout study on the Hooch.

I would recommend everyone give it a shot!

615groundpounder

I saw you guys out there yesterday.

Great work being done here. The guys are also very cordial not to get too close while your fishing either.

lampern

Is Lanier the sole source for walleye brood stock?

Seems Rabun with its 10-14 pounders would make a good spot as well.

striper sniper

19 was biggest was a little surprise to me. How many places did they do and was it just one end of lake? Just curious. Had to be a fun adventure!!

MudDucker

Staff member
These guys are too young, but they are continuing a long tradition of excellence. I got to know several of the guys at the Burton hatchery some 35 years or more ago. They were doing great work then too. That was when they were just starting to go S. Carolina to get some landlocked stripers for breeding.

615groundpounder

19 was biggest was a little surprise to me. How many places did they do and was it just one end of lake? Just curious. Had to be a fun adventure!!

My guess is the boat is probably scaring a good many of the fish away before they are getting to them. There is a rumbling generator on the boat for one, two when its dark they are running a slew of lights. I thought it was a boat bow fishing for carp when I first saw them coming. I'm not sure how deep it sends the shock either. Maybe the bigger fish are a little deeper than it can reach good? I've seen them shocking trout on the hooch before and you will see the trout tail walking across the water to get away from the shock. I've heard them say they have to turn the shock on and off to get more fish because they can feel the tingle coming as they are getting into range and get the heck out of dodge before the real shock gets to them if they do not pulse it. I've never been on the boat with them while doing it but have seen them shocking many times.

Cletus T.

Very neat Bill.......thanks for sharing it with us.

Keep up the good work!

Mikemad

All our striper start at Richmond Hill

As Bill pointed out, the broodstock are taken to Richmond Hill where they do the "dirty" work up mixing up the ingredients needed to produce baby striper. If anybody is interested, here is some of what happens afterward.

To my knowledge (I may be wrong, wouldn't be the 1st time) all of the states atlantic strain striper & most hybrid fry are hatched at Richmond Hill. Fish to be grown out at the other state hatcheries are transported there in RH hatchery water.

Producing strong fry is important, as they grow into healthier fingerlings. The fingerlings grown in Richmond Hill's grow out ponds will also pass thru the hatchery system water a 2nd time, to be transported in hauling tanks to the stocking locations.

When harvest time comes the 1in fish must be moved from the drained ponds. Each pond has a fairly large concrete sump, which collects the fingerling in to a confined area. They then seine the sump to collect the fingerlings. I am not sure if they weigh them (to estimate their number) right there or if they are transported back to the hatchery building to be weighed.

Once counted/weighed they get loaded into a truck/hauling tank and taken to stocking locations. They get moved around a good bit during the whole process.

As the source of most striper/hybrid fry, Richmond Hill Hatchery plays a very important role in the striper/hybrid fisheries across the state. Hatching the strongest fry, growing them into strong healthy fingerlings and transporting them with as little stress as possible, will help increase the survival rates of the stocked fingerlings.

There are three hatcheries that grow Atlantic strain striper. The LSBC has donated needed equipment to each of these three hatcheries, such as tempering pumps, aerators, diffusers & seine nets. 6 different organizations (and of course their members) jointly donated the 900 gallon hauling tank to Richmond Hill.

This March the Lanier Striped Bass Coalition was able to dontate an 02 generator to add addtional 02 to the Richmond Hill hatchery's water system, in time for this years growing season. Hopefully it will help all the striper passing thru there - either as fry or fingerlings. It will also help every other species of fish spawned and grown at Richmond Hill, which as a person whom likes to fish, is a good thing!

I think it was 3 or 4 years ago, all the ponds at Richmond were refurbished or rebuilt. Currently a new hatchery building is being constructed. In essence a major portion of Richmond Hill hatchery will be new in the next year or two.

I haven't seen much about this, so I wanted to point out that state is spending money on infrastructure improvements. Richmond Hill is one place the money goes.

Thank you to ALL of the WRD Fisheries people. I hope y'all have the best possible growing season and a bountiful harvest!

Last edited: