Shooting glasses for iron sights?

JR924

Shooting military rifles and want to keep the iron sights. Having problems seeing the target and the sights. If I wear my trifocals, I can see the target but the sights are fuzzy. If I don't wear glasses, I can see the sights but the target is fuzzy. Brother said there is make of prescriptive shooting glasses that have a mini lens inside the big lens. Suppose to aid in shooting iron sights. Cannot find it on the internet so far.

On last outing I used a 2x2' target designed for 200 yards and shot at it at 50 yards. Still had difficulty seeing it. The enfiled and arisaka peep sights are easier but the mauser sights are impossible. Only thing I can think of is to get a giant white poster board, pull a red thick cross from end to end and mount my target in the middle. The thick red cross would aid me to center on the target. Any ideas????? As said, I don't want to alter the guns historical looks so red dots, after market peep sights and scopes are out of the question. Thanks in advance for any replies.

TJay

Similiar problems with my right (dominant) eye. I have double vision in that eye and when I look at the front bead there are two of them, the real one and a phantom image at around 11 o'clock. The eye doctor said he could fix some of my problems with glasses but I'd have a better chance with the laser surgery. I'm having the laser surgery in about three weeks.

Boondocks

Old age and iron sights do not work. Get eye surgery. Best thing I ever did. I wore glasses or contacts for 50 years. Now wear nothing or readers if looking at phone book or newspaper.

Jester896

Senior Clown
aren't those types of glasses for correcting an eye dominance issue...not sure how they would help.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

aren't those types of glasses for correcting an eye dominance issue...not sure how they would help.

(y)

Hopefully the OP will try checking in with his optometrist before considering investing whatever those things are. :rofl:

fishnguy

I think I saw a video where Jerry Miculec(?) said he had some glasses made where his lenses were upside down from normal. That way he could keep his head down and still see his sights.

Dub

There is a brand of cheater glasses that have the cheater portion on the top.

It brings the front sight in focus....everything beyond is blurry, though.

https://sspeyewear.com/

I have a pair of those ^^^

I've found they help for front sight focus only.

Anything with an optic is going to suffer.....for me.

Anything hunting would likely suffer....in my opinion.

My "views" not withstanding, the company sure hypes then as a miraculous fixit for many situations.

They were fairly low cost...$35...considering they are safety glasses, too....maybe it would be worth it to the OP to give them a call and see what is advised.

frankwright

I use a stick on bifocal for shooting. You can get them almost anywhere online.
Go to Walmart or the drug store and play with a pair of reading glasses and see which ones when held up to your regular glasses will let you see your sights clearer and still see distance and order that power for your stick on's.

JR924

Eye doctor told me several years ago that I had too much astigmatism for laser eye surgery. However the technology has gotten better so I will have a discussion with her on the options next time I see her. Thanks for the replies. I will discuss the stick on lens too.

jglenn

Day to day i wear bifocals. Not great for shooting. Most of my bullseye pistols have a dot on them so i simply use a single focus set of glasses with my long distance prescription. For my iron sight pistols i have a set of flip down +.75 lenses.that allow me to focus on my front sight. For iron sight rifles i used to have a different set of flips downs which allowed me to focus on the front sight. +1.25. Both set of flips downs were used with my single vision frames.

Find an optomitrist who has worked with shooters to get you a solution..i was lucky my dad was one,so i can do it for myself these days.

Rabun Guy

Similiar problems with my right (dominant) eye. I have double vision in that eye and when I look at the front bead there are two of them, the real one and a phantom image at around 11 o'clock. The eye doctor said he could fix some of my problems with glasses but I'd have a better chance with the laser surgery. I'm having the laser surgery in about three weeks.
This my problem. I had my eye examined but the Dr. I don't think had any interest or did not understand what I was talking about. Where do you live and what is your Dr's name> Thank you.