Shopping for mountain boots.

chrislibby88

Yea they are a cloth/leather mix. Probably awesome for early season. My brother got some cheap boot blanket things he is gonna try next week. Couple of guys on here recommend them. I can’t remember the actual name of them, but it’s those insulated things you put on over your boots.

CroMagnum

Yea they are a cloth/leather mix. Probably awesome for early season. My brother got some cheap boot blanket things he is gonna try next week. Couple of guys on here recommend them. I can’t remember the actual name of them, but it’s those insulated things you put on over your boots.
arctic shield boot covers?

Doug B.

They work too! Just put one of the Hothands hand warmer on the toe of your boot when you first get to your stand. I have sat all day on some cold rough days with that setup.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
On my sixth season with my Danners at the moment. Still waterproof, still sound, got many, many a mile on them. Light and warm, and cost just over $200.

The secret to warm feet is one pair of loose-fitting wool socks, and loosely laced boots. I hunt in temps i the teens and 20s frequently, sometimes single digits. I never need a chemical footwarmer.

chrislibby88

On my sixth season with my Danners at the moment. Still waterproof, still sound, got many, many a mile on them. Light and warm, and cost just over $200.

The secret to warm feet is one pair of loose-fitting wool socks, and loosely laced boots. I hunt in temps i the teens and 20s frequently, sometimes single digits. I never need a chemical footwarmer.
Yea but you’re a real man, us tender babies get cold feets.

chrislibby88

Again. Wool socks. Loose lacing.
Oh for sure. I’m a nicotine addict though, it’s a vasoconstrictor, and makes circulation in extremities less efficient. I’m on the couch now with my fireplace going 6ft away and my toes are still cold. Hot tip, if you want warmer hands and feet don’t use nicotine.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Do your Nevada’s feel tight over the mid foot knuckle? It’s the Tarsalmetatarsal joint, the one that doesn’t bend, directly above the arch. My Nevadas kinda pinch down on that hump, especially when I spend a lot of time down hilling. I wrote it off to break-in at first, but I’ve put probably 30-40 miles on these and they still feel tight in that spot, I have plenty of room in the toes.
No. I'm flat footed so i ordered mine wide, just as I would my shoes. I have bad ankles so I run them loose at the foot and cinch em down on the a.b.s.s. I've never had a boot that separated tension on my boot strings and I'm a big fan. I'm a nicotine user myself. Sounds like I need to look at some booties too.

Doug B.

I'm glad that works for you. I wish it did for me. I have tried it but my feet still get freezing cold. The boot blankets and handwarmers are the only way I have found to keep my feet warm. I do agree with the Danners though. I don't even remember how many years I have had mine now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Oh for sure. I’m a nicotine addict though, it’s a vasoconstrictor, and makes circulation in extremities less efficient. I’m on the couch now with my fireplace going 6ft away and my toes are still cold. Hot tip, if you want warmer hands and feet don’t use nicotine.
Pack of smokes and a can of dip a day here. For the last 40 years or so.

chrislibby88

Which danner's do you like hillbilly,I have alway's wore the pronghorn but I just ordered a new pair of elk hunter's.
My brother has the elk hunters. He likes them. Not a ton of ankle support, and much less stiff than my Crispi Nevada’s. But I think they are a tad lighter, and since they are pretty flexible you can stalk a little quieter than in true mountain boots. They don’t come with insoles, don’t be like my brother and go months in them with no insoles. Haha. They must be pretty comfy if he never noticed until I pointed it out.

chrislibby88

So you are telling me I have to buy insoles ,i read a lot of reviews on these boots and all it says is that insoles are not removable.
His boots did not come with insoles. Not sure if they all come like that.
edit: The danner website has no mention of insole, I believe the “non removable insole” you read about is just the raw footbed. There will be a flat stitched seam down the center of the footbed.
And you don’t have to buy insoles, pull the insoles out of a old pair of tennis shoes and slide them in. After we noticed his elk hunters didn’t have any we borrowed the insoles out of his everyday boots.

Last edited:

chrislibby88

Anyone wearing Irish setter elk tracker boots?
I’ve got some Irish Setter snake boots. They suck. Waterproof membrane (not GORTEX) lasted less than 6 months, I got them mid turkey season and they were leaking during small game season the same year. Lace eyelits are cheap thin metal and many are bent, and there are some seams that aren’t holding up. I won’t waste money on another pair. I know it isn’t the same boot, but if they won’t build a snake boot well then I doubt they build any boot well. Get some Crispis or Kenetrex. Might cost double, but they last 3x as long as the cheaper boots.

Buckman18

I’ve got some Irish Setter snake boots. They suck. Waterproof membrane (not GORTEX) lasted less than 6 months, I got them mid turkey season and they were leaking during small game season the same year. Lace eyelits are cheap thin metal and many are bent, and there are some seams that aren’t holding up. I won’t waste money on another pair. I know it isn’t the same boot, but if they won’t build a snake boot well then I doubt they build any boot well. Get some Crispis or Kenetrex. Might cost double, but they last 3x as long as the cheaper boots.

Ive been an Irish Setters fan for 20 years, but last year I bought their snake boots and on the dog bear hunt I ended up in a shallow bog and my feet got drenched. I emailed customer no-service, and actually got a reply... 2 months later. They wanted a receipt, and blah blah blah. I just said forget it and ill get a pair a Danner. 20 year customer lost.

At the time I actually had a pair of Elk Trackers on backorder from Midwayusa.com, but I have since cancelled that order.