Short Morning Trip

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Drove a couple miles up the road to a local creek for awhile this morning before it got hot.

The water was a little high and dingy from the heavy thunderstorms the last couple days:

creek1.jpg

creek2.jpg

Jewelweed and summer phlox were blooming along the banks:

jewelweed.jpg

phlox.jpg

Caught several nice wild rainbows:

bow2.jpg

bow1.jpg

In this hole, I hung a heckuva dandy brown. I had him on for several minutes, but he thrashed on the surface and threw the fly when I was trying to get him into the net. Oh well, I know where he lives now.

creek3.jpg

Caught a decent brown soon after, nothing like the one I lost, but a nice fish:

brown.jpg

Fished for a couple hours until the sun got out and it started getting hot. Caught several more fish, and was about ready to call it a morning. Then, I caught this holdover stocker brook from back in the spring:

brook.jpg

He looked tasty, so, I knocked him in the head and added him to the three bows I had kept for the grill tomorrow night.

bows.jpg

It was a good morning of fishing, and it was enough. I broke down my rod, walked back to the truck, and drove five minutes back home.

tjchurch

Beautiful fish Hillbilly.

gunnurse

I can drive five minutes from my house and catch... tiny catfish and creek suckers. No fair!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can drive five minutes from my house and catch... tiny catfish and creek suckers. No fair!!
There's also a river full of smallmouth, rock bass, and redbreasts about 300 yards from the end of my driveway. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great trip and story.
The tails on those bows... they got them some motors!
Yeah, you think you've got something twice that size when they hit that fast current.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those natives sure do have a broad tail on them. Nice way to spend a morning just down the road(y)
Yep, they're like a streak of lightning when you hook one on a 3 weight.

Bream Pole

Another great post. You live in a paradise.

trout maharishi

That's a nice mess of fish. That brook trout looks like it's been in there long enough to be eating like a real trout. Was it any good?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a nice mess of fish. That brook trout looks like it's been in there long enough to be eating like a real trout. Was it any good?
Yes, it was good. Was starting to get some good pink speck meat. :)