shotgun chamber size

Whitetailer

Talking to a friend and neither of us had an answer to a question, so I'll ask here.
As an example. I have a 12 gauge Remington 870 wingmaster. On the barrel it is marked 2/3 inch chamber. The question is, can I buy a barrel that has a 3" chamber and put it on my 870? We were thinking the different barrels may have specific "seats" where the barrel is matched to the receiver...???

Thanks, Whitetailer

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The ejection port may not be long enough on a standard 2-3/4" receiver to eject fired 3" hulls.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
From Remington:
Serial Number Suffix Gauge Ejection
V 12 2 3/4" Only
M 12 2 3/4" or 3" Only
A 12 2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2"
W 16 2 3/4" Only
K, X 20 2 3/4" Only
U,N 20 2 3/4" or 3" Only
J 28 2 3/4" Only
H .410 2 1/2" or 3"

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
My 870 says 2 3/4 but shoots 3 no problem.
Since the overall hull length varies from manufacturer to manufacturer it is no surprise that some 3" shells will fire and eject from some dedicated 2-3/4" receivers. Other hulls may not.
Whether or a steady diet of 3" shells is good for the action of a 2-3/4" receiver is another guess.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Since the overall hull length varies from manufacturer to manufacturer it is no surprise that some 3" shells will fire and eject from some dedicated 2-3/4" receivers. Other hulls may not.
Whether or a steady diet of 3" shells is good for the action of a 2-3/4" receiver is another guess.
I feed it a steady diet of sellor and bellot 2 3/4 00 buckshot. But it does shoot 3 inch. It holds one less so I don’t see the advantage over reward using 3’s but it will.

Whitetailer

whoaaa, Thanks. Lots if info to digest. Ill look at the serial #suffex and check out all the other variables. That being said, I'm not planning on using the 870, but its nice to know. The question came up and we were curious for an answer...

Thanks...

rosewood

My 870 says 2 3/4 but shoots 3 no problem.
Probably not a good idea, here is why. A lot of 2 3/4" barrels will chamber a 3" hull. An unfired 2 3/4" hull is 2 1/2" long, fired it is 2 3/4". An unfired 3" hull is 2 3/4" long and 3" once fired, therefore will chamber. When it is fired, the hull opens up and the hull becomes 1/4" longer, there needs to be space in the chamber for the petals to lay out flat. If you put it in a shorter chamber, those petals will be constricted when fired. Constricted petals can raise the chamber pressures of your shotgun and also affect accuracy. Now whether those increased pressures are dangerous or not, I do not know the answer to that as I do not have any empirical data for that. I do know that a fold crimp shotgun hull with the same load has higher chamber pressures than a roll crimp. So no doubt the restriction there does raise pressures.

Rosewood

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Well ok I shoot 2 3/4 rolled buckshot often and it “can” shoot 3 inch bird shot.The advantage is it can not that I do very often other than to show it can.

rosewood

Well ok I shoot 2 3/4 rolled buckshot often and it “can” shoot 3 inch bird shot.The advantage is it can, not that I do very often other than to show it can.

Similar thing with shooting 40 S&W out of a 10mm. Most guns will fire, but since those cartridges headspace off the mouth and not the rim, it may not be reliable and can damage the extractor. However, in a pinch, it usually workw, just not recommended.

Rosewood

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Similar thing with shooting 40 S&W out of a 10mm. Most guns will fire, but since those cartridges headspace off the mouth and not the rim, it may not be reliable and can damage the extractor. However, in a pinch, it usually workw, just not recommended.

Rosewood
Im gonna disagree with shooting 40s&w out of a 10mm is remotely similar to a shotgun shell.

rosewood

Im gonna disagree with shooting 40s&w out of a 10mm is remotely similar to a shotgun shell.
I wasn't saying it was the same, I was saying they can both be done, but are not necessarily a good idea.

Philbow

In additional information, a 3 1/2 inch shell will chamber in an SKB semi auto 2 3/4 chamber. The 3 1/2 shell will not eject so you have to take then gun apart to get it out. What the pressure would be firing the 3 inch or 3 1/2 shells in a 2 3/4 chamber I don/t know, but I would not try it.

(Just to make it clear I did not fire the gun, I just checked to see if it would chamber)

rosewood

In additional information, a 3 1/2 inch shell will chamber in an SKB semi auto 2 3/4 chamber. The 3 1/2 shell will not eject so you have to take then gun apart to get it out. What the pressure would be firing the 3 inch or 3 1/2 shells in a 2 3/4 chamber I don/t know, but I would not try it.

(Just to make it clear I did not fire the gun, I just checked to see if it would chamber)

In addition, 3 1/2" shells are rated at a higher pressure than 2 3/4" and 3" shells. They should be only fired in a gun designed for it, for that reason alone. The advent of the 12 gauge 3 1/2" magnum virtually put the 10 gauge out of business. It will carry the payload and velocity of the 10 gauge and it will shoot other 12 gauge rounds to boot, making it much more versatile.

Much like the 3" 20 gauge was virtually the demise of the 16 gauge, the 20 gauge will do everything the 16 gauge can, so kind of pointless having a 16 gauge. I know there has recently been a resurgence of the 16, but it is just nostalgia me thinks.

Rosewood

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Many years ago I would shoot Canada geese with my Browning A-5 (2+3/4") with 7.5 bird shot even out to 50 yards and never had trouble knocking them down. Why do you need a 3" magnum to kill a turkey at 30 yards with BB shot? Hitting a turkey in the head with 7.5 bird shot with 20 or 30 bird shot kills them DRL.

nmurph

...Why do you need a 3" magnum to kill a turkey at 30 yards with BB shot? Hitting a turkey in the head with 7.5 bird shot with 20 or 30 bird shot kills them DRL.

For the same reason people insist on using .300WM or .45/70 to kill deer... I'm just glad we live in a country that gives us that choice.

rosewood

For the same reason people insist on using .300WM or .45/70 to kill deer... I'm just glad we live in a country that gives us that choice.
err...State also, some states limit it.
Amen!

rosewood

Many years ago I would shoot Canada geese with my Browning A-5 (2+3/4") with 7.5 bird shot even out to 50 yards and never had trouble knocking them down. Why do you need a 3" magnum to kill a turkey at 30 yards with BB shot? Hitting a turkey in the head with 7.5 bird shot with 20 or 30 bird shot kills them DRL.
Cause we shoot them at 60 yards :)