Shotgun deer

I usually start with revolvers but missed one so I changed to my shotgun. 870 with a Hastings barrel and scope. I never got it to shoot handloads and have every mold. All the loads I found did not pan out until I went to the Lyman shotgun loads using the sabot slug in a WW wad. shoots like a laser. I shot a spike last Sat when he stopped and I could just see his chest between two trees at around 60 yards. I hit point of aim but made a mess that I was able to clean up and save the shoulders. Bazooka holes!

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I usually start with revolvers but missed one so I changed to my shotgun. 870 with a Hastings barrel and scope. I never got it to shoot handloads and have every mold. All the loads I found did not pan out until I went to the Lyman shotgun loads using the sabot slug in a WW wad. shoots like a laser. I shot a spike last Sat when he stopped and I could just see his chest between two trees at around 60 yards. I hit point of aim but made a mess that I was able to clean up and save the shoulders. Bazooka holes!
James, show us a pic of those slugs if you have one. I'd like to see them as I like to hunt with a slug gun as well sometimes.

I do not have a picture but it is a Lyman mold. The Midsouth order number is 015-2654112. It has a wasp waist and hollow base.
The load I use is from the Lyman manual, Powder is 30 gr of WSF, AA case, wad is WWAA12F114 and fold crimp. I have 3 shots touching at 50 yards. I need a shoulder pad for target shooting, the 870 is harsh.

buckpasser

Sounds like fun!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I love slug hunting. I do it with a model 50 12 gauge bolt action.

Hadn’t started hand loading shotgun shells yet, but interesting why yours wouldn’t shoot them. Did you find out a reason?

The biggest problem was the wads got destroyed. many slugs made as a sabot would have the wad shoot past the slug, the LEE was one. Recovered wads had holes in the bottoms. The special wad from Ballistic products made for a bullet did the same. I have the Foster slug mold and tried to duplicate the WW factory load that shoots very well out of any shotgun but never quite made it work. Wads got driven into the hollow bases.
The Lyman sabot slug does not damage the wads. Round balls never worked either.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
My favorite set up is my 870 Express, Kicks Buckkiker Xtra Full, 2 3/4 00 Buck, 2nd favorite setup is #1 Buck 3 in out of a Modfied Choke.

I don't shoot slugs much. I do pour and reload my buckshot.

Nimrod71

I have a Hastings rifled barrel for my Rem. 1100 and it will shoot the old Rem. plain slugs fine.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
When I do occasionally shoot slugs, I use a I/C choke and foster style "rifled" slugs.

georgia_home

Opinions may vary. I think this is about the best spot for a hit. They stop quick. And the front roasts are still in tact. Usually.

remington sluggers. 12g

E243E81A-2D6F-41AF-B5F8-EA992F0188B4.jpeg

Nice, I went out this morning and shot a nice doe. I gave her to my hunting partner. He hasn't had a shot.
She dropped at the shot. Nice since Arthur has attacked my left ankle. Hard as heck to drag them.