Shotgun primer to replace Mille and cap ??

dpoole

Anyone ever tried these

Attachments

• 518CC52F-4491-4DD2-B2D3-F5D82547DD4E.png
    518CC52F-4491-4DD2-B2D3-F5D82547DD4E.png
    906.4 KB · Views: 25

flintlock hunter

Anyone ever tried these

Maybe 40 years ago there was a product to hit the market called a "fusil", not the muzzleloader called a fusil, rather a replacement for the caplock nipple that allowed the use of a small rifle primer instead of a #11 cap.

I liked the idea at the time, and especially the "o" ring supposedly to waterproof the ignition. It turned out to be awkward to replace the primer, didn't make any percievable difference in ignition, and did not work as well as wrapping the niple and cap with Saran wrap to waterproof the ignition if you got caught in a downpour.

Don't know if this newfangled gadget lives up to it's advertising, but I thought a little blast from the past might somehow be releavant since 90% of the "better than sliced bread" gadgets turn out to be dissapointments.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Accu-Shot had a nipple that held a small riffle primer or a 209 for my hawken rifle. Worked great.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have s couple of TC Hawken style rifles that were made to use the No.11 caps. I had some ignition issues with them. Not often but then once is too often. I changed out the nipples with musket nipples and started using musket caps. I have not had a single ignition issue since the change and I leave a rifle loaded over the season regardless of rain. I have left one loaded for a more extended period and had no problem with the ignition after six months.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
There is also some concern that the shotgun primers might move the load in a black powder muzzle loader before ignition occurs. This could effect the consistency of the shot.