Shotgun sight.

Dbender

Any recommendations for a tough, simple shotgun sight? I don't want anything that uses batteries or a scope. I've used several fiber optic ones over the years but they either broke or fell off. Mossberg 835 at one time came with a nice sight with a round ring in the rear portion, but I don't know what it was called.

RichardC

You cant beat the tru glow Magnum gobble dot sights have used them for a long time and they are built tough..never an issue with none i have used.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive used the Tru-Glo for years.

chrislibby88

I’ve got a 1.5 power mini acog on my turkey gun with a large dot on a post reticle.Fiber optic/tritium illuminated. It’s a turkey slaying beast.
Tough, nearly indestructible, but not cheap. You can find them used for around $500. Trijicon makes a battery free reflex that would work well too, it jus sits a little higher, so the cheek weld isn’t as good. I’ve gotten them used for $150.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

buckpasser

After the front fiber fell out of my $1600 Benelli, I replaced it in the field with a shaved down piece of weedeater string. It's now been there for probably 10 years. All I want is a front bead on a shotgun.

Definitely nothing wrong with that, but I’ve seen quite a few benellis that we’re way off on poi vs poa, including mine. Be thankful you have a straight shooter.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Takes me some time to line up on a gobblers head. My sight even with glasses, has difficulty lining the bead with the back of the ol shotgun. I do manage to get it done, but it isn't easy.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Can remember two old gentlemen my dad hunted in South Fl with in the 40's and 50's, They used double barrel shotguns and #8 shot. Called turkeys with a piece of slate with a cedar stick through a corn cobb. With chalk. Don't see that anymore

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Well I really liked my scope ! But it’s hard to get lined up on that 2nd or 3rd bird . They usually moving pretty good after their buddy is flopping !

buckpasser

Well I really liked my scope ! But it’s hard to get lined up on that 2nd or 3rd bird . They usually moving pretty good after their buddy is flopping !

You can go back to it after this season. You’ll be throttled on shooting more than one, and it’ll be later too.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I used Ramp #72313 and Marble fiber optic dove tail post #603126 (green) and the Skinner sight for the Henry Rifle with octagon barrel. It has a flat base. All but the sight came from MidwayUSA. The Skinner sight came from Skinner directly. Here's the view from a friend's installation of both. The peep is adjustable for windage and elevation. The front sight is dovetailed into the base.
skinner view.jpegYildiz TK12 ramp and sight.jpgYildiz TK12 action coated.jpgYildiz TK 12.jpg

Last edited:

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Trijicon makes a battery free reflex that would work well too, it jus sits a little higher, so the cheek weld isn’t as good. I’ve gotten them used for $150.
Beartooth makes a comb raising kit consisting of a neoprene stock sleeve with different thickness foam inserts to raise the comb. i use it on my Super
Bantam which has a Trijicon Reflex mounted. Gil

Dbender

Thanks for all the replies, I'll check them out. As far as a single bead, I sometimes/almost always get a liitle shaken up when they are coming in and need something to force me to keep my head down on the stock.

Buckman18

chrislibby88

Beartooth makes a comb raising kit consisting of a neoprene stock sleeve with different thickness foam inserts to raise the comb. i use it on my Super
Bantam which has a Trijicon Reflex mounted. Gil
This would be a killer combo.
A trijicon RMR on a low rail mount would be super effective too. They make a fiber optic/tritium model. If you were super fancy you might be able to get the receiver milled for an RMR plate and have it sitting just a few mm higher than iron sights.

AliBubba

At my age I can't clearly see the Tru-Glo firer optics I installed on my Beretta A302 ribbed semi-auto 20+ years back. Been looking to get a red-dot but having a hard time finding a Weaver and/or Picatinny rails attachment since the A302 is 30+ years old..