Should I Get my duck dog fixed?

Hey everyone. I’m getting out of the Marine Corps come December and my fiancé decided to get me me a lab puppy for Christmas to celebrate my freedom! This will be my first duck dog I’ve owned my self and I’ve been wondering about wether or not to get him fixed. The pup is AKC registered and will have breeding rights. My initial answer was I would not get him fixed but, we do have a couple other dogs already at home. One being a intact female. Just wondering what you guys with more experience might suggest. Thanks.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
On some dogs it calms them down. On some dogs it doesn’t. It matters when hunting and someone brings a female in season. None of the dogs will cooperate when that happens. I’ve even seen males fixed want to get in the action.

Nimrod71

I would not advise having your dog fixed. I have had labs since 1974 both male and female and I have never had one fixed. I have had friends that had there dogs fixed and they just weren't the same as unfixed dogs. One of the biggest problems I saw was labs being over weight. Labs have a weight problem anyway and you just make it worst with having them fixed. Labs are missing a gene that tells them to stop eating and they will generally eat until all the food in the bowl is gone. You have to feed them just the right amount and no more or they will fatten up and have added health problems. By the way make sure the parents of the puppy have been checked for hip displacement, that is common in labs and large dogs. Labs are wonderful and smart dogs you will enjoy having one. If you plan on hunting your lab, do not fix him. As for hunting with other dogs, just check with whom ever is bring the other dog and find out if they are in heat. Most hunting trips on need one retriever. I can tell you if you have you puppy fixed you will regret it later on. If you really have a problem with this, I suggest not getting him fixed until the problem really gets to be a problem. In other words you may be worried about something that will never come up. Also get the puppy at seven weeks of age and get a copy of Richard Walters book Water Dog. This is the first dog training book I bought and read and it is the way I still train my dogs. Good Luck and enjoy a great dog.

Last edited:

sasmojoe

You are taking a big chance if you plan on hunting the dog.
I personally would not have him fixed.