Shrimp Seining

WalkinDead

Banned
Shrimp season is currently closed for seining. The season typically opens on or about June 1st. It may be delayed this year due to the cold weather we had during the winter and may not open till the second week of June.
Seine at your own risk of being fined if caught. You will lose whatever you caught and may also lose your net along with the fine you will be paying, if caught.

Steve762us

You will lose whatever you caught and may also lose your net along with the fine you will be paying, if caught.

...which will probably be substantial. A local dud was
checked after someone called in a tip that he sold an
oversize red at dockside. By the time DNR arrived, the
caller and "buyer" were gone, but dud was still there--
and found to be fishing without a license. The citation
was reportedly something over $400.

hlduke82

Happy to hear someone is keeping everyone honest. Best way to protect the coastline and allow everyone to enjoy it for years to come.

Scallen2112

From 2018 GA Sportfishing Regulations

SHRIMPING SEASON
Unless otherwise designated, there is no closed
season for the harvest of bait shrimp
, regard
-
less of the approved gear used. The season
for the recreational harvest of food shrimp is
the same as that established for commercial
shrimping.

WalkinDead

Banned
I asked a DNR officer about the bait shrimp years ago. There is no closed season as the above poster says; however, the bait shrimp MUST be taken in approved bait shrimp designated areas. These areas do not lend themselves to the use of a seine, unfortunately. There are no designated bait shrimp areas on the sandy beaches of the barrier islands where seines are typically used.
You can claim ignorance of this fact while he writes the ticket...

caughtinarut

I asked a DNR officer about the bait shrimp years ago. There is no closed season as the above poster says; however, the bait shrimp MUST be taken in approved bait shrimp designated areas. These areas do not lend themselves to the use of a seine, unfortunately. There are no designated bait shrimp areas on the sandy beaches of the barrier islands where seines are typically used.

Exactly. Well said.

Scallen2112

Could you possibly post a link to these said areas? There is no mention of them at all in the regulations, and I have never heard of them.

Steve762us

I asked a DNR officer about the bait shrimp years ago. There is no closed season as the above poster says; however, the bait shrimp MUST be taken in approved bait shrimp designated areas.

No...that's wrong.

You might be thinking of oysters. Everybody thinks they
can pick oysters anywhere, but they are restricted to
certain areas, for 'general public'. Lots of areas are leased
by the state, and Joe Public is not allowed to harvest on
the leases.

Here's info on recreational food & bait shrimp cast
netting; as you'll see on page 4--"no closed areas".

https://coastalgadnr.org/sites/default/files/crd/RecFish/State_FMPs/Shrimp FMP Final 2017.pdf

Scallen2112

No...that's wrong.

Here's info on recreational food & bait shrimp cast
netting; as you'll see on page 4--"no closed areas".

https://coastalgadnr.org/sites/default/files/crd/RecFish/State_FMPs/Shrimp FMP Final 2017.pdf

That's the way I read the info in the official fishing regulations. The DNR guy that WalkinDead ran into may have been thinking about the stipulation that "Power Drawn" nets may only be used in certain areas (also on page 4, under "areas")

This management plan, however, contradicts the published regulations on "season". The regs say. "Unless otherwise designated, there is no closed season for the harvest of bait shrimp, regardless of the approved gear used." whereas this plan says, on page four, that cast netting and seining for bait shrimp is "Same as food
shrimp trawler season." Both can't be right.

WalkinDead

Banned
I had the same conversation with the DNR officer as above concerning the ambiguity of the regulations. He said "tell it to the judge" or pay the fine would be the response I would get if ticketed. With that being said, I know people who do seine for shrimp during March through the opening of the season and they seem to get away with it year after year. I'm not sure if this is a matter of luck, lack of officers to cover the situation, or a matter of them just looking the other way.
I also know that I have only been checked by DNR a meer 4-5 times over the 10+ years I have been seining, and this was due to someone calling them and complaining of others taking more than the limit of shrimp per night.
I seine often enough to see no reason not to play by the rules. Others may not have this ability or may travel long distances to do so and may be tempted to "get what they can while they can". I am responsible only for what I do, what others do is up to them and I bid them good luck and mind my own business.
If you want the big shrimp, now is the time to get them, and I bid you good luck in your endeavor should you decide to go after them.
I have no desire or need to take the risk and will wait for the season to open as I typically end up with 500-700 lbs. per season, more than I and my family and friends can typically eat before the season begins again.

Scallen2112

I would take that to a judge in a heartbeat. And I actually ONLY sein for bait. My wife wont eat shrimp, so I don't bother cooking them.

WalkinDead

Banned
Personally, from what I have observed over the last 10+ years, I don't think the risk of being caught is very high, even if someone calls and complains. As long as your license is up to date, you'll probably be fine.

WalkinDead

Banned
Bait zones may be found at:

https://georgiaoutdoormap.com/

Select Coastal fishing and check the "bait zone" box to highlight them. You can zoom in on the area you're interested in with your mouse wheel.
These would be the zones the DNR officer I spoke with was talking about, I assume. I also assume this refers to power drawn trawls for bait shrimp.

WalkinDead

Banned
Took the net to St. Andrews Sunday evening intending to seine for shrimp, first person I ran into informed me DNR was down the beach ticketing seiners. Turned around and headed home.