Side Lock Range??? Face Burn?

feathersnantlers

For details see my other ML post, I am shoting a .50 Cal, 450ish(at work don't remember) gr Buffalo Bullet, with 90 grains of FFg Powder.

What is my Max. Effective Range and Max. Range?

What should I zero at, 25 yds?

Thanks, first year I get to use the ML, sorry for all the questions. But I like my face the way it is.

Oh speaking of that. I am shooting lefthanded a righthanded Sidelock. Will I get flash burns from the cap?

Last edited:

frankwright

The range depends on how good you can shoot and where your particular load hits. I have a 50 cal sidelock and I sight it in about one inch high at seventy five yards. That is about maximum that I can shoot with the open sights.

I believe my load of 90 grs of pyrodex and a 320 R.E.A.L Lead bullet will kill farther than that but that is my self imposed limits. Most of my ML kills have been about 40 yards actually. I always use some type of rest if at all possible.

As far as the spark, if you do not wear glasses, I would wear a safety glass to prevent spark or a broken piece of cap from hitting your eye.

feathersnantlers

FTW, thanks

Frank, thanks for the info. Yes, I wear glasses. So it shouldn't be a problem.

I guess if I zero at 25 yds. I should hit 4 inches high.

jeclif

I shoot a cva side lock that is 1/66 twist and shoot patched round balls and ffg black powder 50 grains that has been real good for 5 years