Sight lights

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Looking for recommendations on a light to go on my sight to light the pins up brighter. At 7:25 last evening I could no longer make them out with 30 minutes of light left.

BASS1FUN

What kind of sight ? I’ve been fortunate because I can still see right at the thirty minutes before and after , its like they know when to light up and when to shut down

GregoryB.

I usually shoot with both eyes open in low light conditions without any issues. Allows me to see through the peep. I always forget about the light on my sight.

gma1320

What kind of sight ? I’ve been fortunate because I can still see right at the thirty minutes before and after , its like they know when to light up and when to shut down
I can't remember the brand. It is whatever comes on the bowtech from the factory.

gma1320

Go to academy and pick up a tru glo light kit, it comes with adapters to be able to adapt to almost every sight, you should already have a hole in your sight for the light to screw in to, if not, you might have to drill a hole in the plastic housing and thread the light in, I did that on a trophy ridge sight years ago
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/truglo-tru-lite-pro-adjustable-bow-sight-light
Have you had good luck with that one. That is the one I was thinking about.

JROESEL

Have you had good luck with that one. That is the one I was thinking about.

I’ve had good luck with them, they have changed the rheostat over the years, it used to be, you tighten the head and the light would come on, now it has three different settings to choose from for brightness, you can get them in blue or purple light, which either one will make your fiber pins shine, I shoot with both eyes open, and it definitely helps in low light situations, here is a video of it,

Kris87

Here's a tip...most sight lights are way too bright and will halo your pins to the point you won't even be able to see the deer that's behind them. To remedy this, take some black electrical tape and cover most of the actual bulb if it allows. All you want is for the pin to barely be illuminated. Old batteries will do this too, but I prefer the tape method. Works great if you can find a happy medium.

gma1320

I got the tru glow, thank yall for the tips. @Kris87 I am gonna try that because I noticed that. Unless I have it on the lowest setting I couldn't make out the target

Kris87

I got the tru glow, thank yall for the tips. @Kris87 I am gonna try that because I noticed that. Unless I have it on the lowest setting I couldn't make out the target

I had to cover probably 90% of my light and it works great. You only want it lit enough to see it. The lower the better.

Bubba_1122

Here's a tip...most sight lights are way too bright and will halo your pins to the point you won't even be able to see the deer that's behind them. To remedy this, take some black electrical tape and cover most of the actual bulb if it allows. All you want is for the pin to barely be illuminated. Old batteries will do this too, but I prefer the tape method. Works great if you can find a happy medium.
Great idea (lowest light level is too much).

I actually ended up using a piece of plumbing teflon tape over the light portion. Fits well on the screw threads as well (as designed to do).

Seems to blocks just enough light on the lowest setting (I covered the complete light with the tape as it still allows some light through).

Will shoot it this evening with a target but I think that’s gonna work perfect.

Thanks for the heads up/idea on how to manage that.

Last edited:

Kris87

Great idea (lowest light level is too much).

I actually ended up using a piece of plumbing teflon tape over the light portion. Fits well on the screw threads as well (as designed to do).

Seems to blocks just enough light on the lowest setting (I covered the complete light with the tape as it still allows some light through).

Will shoot it this evening with a target but I think that’s gonna work perfect.

Thanks for the heads up/idea on how to manage that.

No problem. Good luck this season.

Bubba_1122

Tried to use a piece of pink flagging tape to cover the light. Very difficult to screw in and just didn't work as well as the plumbers Teflon tape (not as flexible).

Also folded the Teflon tape over double. Lost too much light.

After all's said and done I'm using a single layer of plumbers Teflon tape over the light on low setting to get a lighted but not overwhelming light in the pin.

I need to put a small piece of flor. pink on the sight somehow to remind me to cut the light off when it get's light or when I come out of the stand (my light takes 3 batteries and the last two times I've turned my light on I've forgotten to turn it off). Ordered more batteries today. Don't want to keep wasting them (senility syndrome).