Sighting in 6.5 grendal for 100 zero

sghoghunter

I’ve always saw people talking about zeroing a 223 at 25yd and being dead on at a certain yardage. Has anyone done a grendal at a close yardage and be dead on at another. I built one a few years ago and never done anything with it and got a wild hair about putting a spare thermal scope on it to have a another hog head buster. All my shots will be under 150 yd max,mostly under 100

bullgator

You can’t rely on that for a sure sighting in. The height of your optic above the bore, the actual bullet and ballistic data, and other factors will require you verify at the distance.

menhadenman

I shoot a bit of Grendel… cool round. With the typical 120 class bullet you’ll be close at 1.5” sight height and 2500 fps. You’ll probably be a faster than that but not 2600. My 8 year old shot his first pig with a Grendel last
March. He didn’t go far with one shot. Good luck.

*Edit - looks like some of the factory stuff is 2580 fps... my sweet spot load is 2,543 (120 ELDM over 31.2 gr CFE 223).

295A85F7-E4D1-4DF7-8E63-3B4163A3A200.png

Last edited:

sghoghunter

You can’t rely on that for a sure sighting in. The height of your optic above the bore, the actual bullet and ballistic data, and other factors will require you verify at the distance.

Oh yeah I understand all that but not sure if you’ve ever sighted in a thermal scope or not but once you shoot you can’t see where the bullet hits. It makes it way better if you can shoot close range then fine tune it out a lil further.

menhadenman

Oh yeah I understand all that but not sure if you’ve ever sighted in a thermal scope or not but once you shoot you can’t see where the bullet hits. It makes it way better if you can shoot close range then fine tune it out a lil further.
@sghoghunter check out this link if you’d like to tweak muzzle velocity to get better info. https://bisonballistics.com/calculators/ballistics. Looks like 120 Black (the Hornady round with 120 ELDM) is about 2580 fps so a little flatter.

Speaking of thermals, I’ve been noodling the idea of getting one. Any recommendations? Don’t want to break the bank but also don’t want to regret cheating out.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
According to post #4 by @menhadenman for the particular round noted, a 50 yard zero would also be dead on at 100 yards, 1.8 inches low at 150 yards. With this zero the rifle would shoot .6 inches low at 25 yards. So for this round if you set it to shoot .6 inches low at 25 yards you should be close to zero at 50 and again at 100. You would also have to take into consideration how your rifle handled this particular round but it should be close.

Jester896

Senior Clown
@sghoghunter My buddy uses a black poly-carbonate to sight in Thermals. It is real similar to the thick cutting boards you can buy at Wal-Mart. I think I have a little at my place that is liner for endloader buckets that is pretty thick. It seals up pretty good from the bullet strike and retains the heat where it went through long enough to sight the scope in. If you think a piece might help you I would be happy to cut you a smaller piece.

sghoghunter

@sghoghunter My buddy uses a black poly-carbonate to sight in Thermals. It is real similar to the thick cutting boards you can buy at Wal-Mart. I think I have a little at my place that is liner for endloader buckets that is pretty thick. It seals up pretty good from the bullet strike and retains the heat where it went through long enough to sight the scope in. If you think a piece might help you I would be happy to cut you a smaller piece.

I have saw somewhere that a plain white cutting board would kinda heal itself and hold the heat of the shot but haven’t tried it yet. I see numerous post on FB of people using ice,hot hands,frozen grapes and all different kinds of objects as targets. I have found the simplest best target I’ve ever seen. I use an old aluminum street sign with a plastic dip can as bullseye. Two different types of materials and picks up very well.

sghoghunter

According to post #4 by @menhadenman for the particular round noted, a 50 yard zero would also be dead on at 100 yards, 1.8 inches low at 150 yards. With this zero the rifle would shoot .6 inches low at 25 yards. So for this round if you set it to shoot .6 inches low at 25 yards you should be close to zero at 50 and again at 100. You would also have to take into consideration how your rifle handled this particular round but it should be close.

I’m new to the grendal so it’s going to be a lil learning curve. I’m use to my lil 300blk

Dub

Ahhhh. I understand a little better now.

I'm fairly ignorant to thermal stuff.

When I first read the thread I was thinking, "why not simply shoot it at 100yds and know for certain"....then your explanation makes it more clear of the obstacles.

Maybe a sight-in on a cool morning aiming at hand warmers taped to the target bullseye :huh:

sghoghunter

@sghoghunter check out this link if you’d like to tweak muzzle velocity to get better info. https://bisonballistics.com/calculators/ballistics. Looks like 120 Black (the Hornady round with 120 ELDM) is about 2580 fps so a little flatter.

Speaking of thermals, I’ve been noodling the idea of getting one. Any recommendations? Don’t want to break the bank but also don’t want to regret cheating out.

What exactly do you want to use it for?I started out with a entry level pulsar rxq30 five years ago and just bought a Bering optics vibe 35 two months ago. In five years the technology has gotten better and prices have came down. If you listen to podcasts here’s a good one to listen to. They review different brands and also compare brands and price ranges. They also sell them and you can call them and they will help you decide which one best suit you. I will say pulsar stands behind their warranty and will still work on their products even after warranty has expired. If your any where down around south ga I don’t mind in meeting you one night and letting you look through a couple just to get an idea of what ya looking at

Attachments

• A031D287-43F8-458A-82D5-2F19D47017CD.png
    A031D287-43F8-458A-82D5-2F19D47017CD.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 3

menhadenman

What exactly do you want to use it for?I started out with a entry level pulsar rxq30 five years ago and just bought a Bering optics vibe 35 two months ago. In five years the technology has gotten better and prices have came down. If you listen to podcasts here’s a good one to listen to. They review different brands and also compare brands and price ranges. They also sell them and you can call them and they will help you decide which one best suit you. I will say pulsar stands behind their warranty and will still work on their products even after warranty has expired. If your any where down around south ga I don’t mind in meeting you one night and letting you look through a couple just to get an idea of what ya looking at

Thanks for the tip and appreciate the offer. I’m up by the NC border and don’t get down that way too often… will send you a note if I can though, wager looking at a few would be great.

My thought would be to put it on a Aero 223 Wylde I just put together - shoots 69-75 grain bullets well with the 1/7 twist… I head farther south for pigs every now and then but would probably use it more for varmints. Guessing shots would mostly be inside of 100 yds but would be comfortable to 300 with that rifle.

I like the night vision too but then think why not thermal? Then I get to thinking buy once cry once. Just a neat technology.

sghoghunter

Thanks for the tip and appreciate the offer. I’m up by the NC border and don’t get down that way too often… will send you a note if I can though, wager looking at a few would be great.

My thought would be to put it on a Aero 223 Wylde I just put together - shoots 69-75 grain bullets well with the 1/7 twist… I head farther south for pigs every now and then but would probably use it more for varmints. Guessing shots would mostly be inside of 100 yds but would be comfortable to 300 with that rifle.

I like the night vision too but then think why not thermal? Then I get to thinking buy once cry once. Just a neat technology.

I started out with night vision and thought it was better than sliced bread till I peeked in a thermal then I was done with night vision. To scan a field with a gen 3 night vision you have to pay attention to everything cause a tree stump on a wood line will look just like a hog standing still. With a thermal I can scan a field riding down the road at 55 mph and see anything without any problem.

sghoghunter

I just sold a Night Optics D760AG GenIII...going to miss it a little

75gr .223 struggle on a bigger Bo hog at 200 yards...rascals are kind tough in the shoulder :D

The very first hog I killed with my 300 blk pistol was a 364lb boar. Him and a couple more boars were courting a hot sow in a cotton field one night and me and a buddy stalked 300 yds across a field and we got within 50 yds of him laying in a wallow. I missed my mark and hit him right square in the middle of his shield. I was amazed that 150gr deer season xp punched right on through it with no problems. This is a pic of the shield and you can tell how thick it was

Attachments

• 130B89FB-4ADA-45A2-B4ED-CF9682FAA64C.jpeg
    130B89FB-4ADA-45A2-B4ED-CF9682FAA64C.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 5
  • 208B90A8-E599-40BD-BF7E-E39F5FDD01DB.jpeg
    208B90A8-E599-40BD-BF7E-E39F5FDD01DB.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 6

BoarYotes2022

I started out with night vision and thought it was better than sliced bread till I peeked in a thermal then I was done with night vision. To scan a field with a gen 3 night vision you have to pay attention to everything cause a tree stump on a wood line will look just like a hog standing still. With a thermal I can scan a field riding down the road at 55 mph and see anything without any problem.
Which thermal did you check out?