Silent observer

longbowdave1

Next week for the rut I'm going to refrain from using any kind of buck lure or gadgets, including the grunt tube. My plan is to just try to intercept the bucks doing there thing, and be like a ghost out there. What are you tactics for the rut???

Last edited:

JB in GA

Yes, I try to become one with the surroundings. But as I’ve gotten older, I can’t sit more than about three hours or so. I think there is something to the middle of the day hours and big bucks, but I haven’t hunted mid-day all year. I usually head back in about 3:30 or so.

elhoward622

I have had scents work only a couple of times and have never really had luck grunting but I do have luck rattling to pull in a buck closer that I have spotted out of range.

longbowdave1

Yes, I try to become one with the surroundings. But as I’ve gotten older, I can’t sit more than about three hours or so. I think there is something to the middle of the day hours and big bucks, but I haven’t hunted mid-day all year. I usually head back in about 3:30 or so.

I agree with you. This is my 40th bow season. In my mind I'm still 18, in the mirror I see that I'm 58. We'll see how many hours I can log in the stands this coming week. This is usually the only week I see the big boys, but first deer in range is getting an arrow flung at it.

longbowdave1

I have had scents work only a couple of times and have never really had luck grunting but I do have luck rattling to pull in a buck closer that I have spotted out of range.
I have had lu k with all of it at times. But also chased off a few, or no response. Just going resist temptation to use it this year

longbowdave1

Shot the bow tonight. Only 3 more days until I start the 9 day of hunting the rut. I starting to see pictures of some really nice bucks being shot.

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
I’m just watching this post. As a new second year hunter I’m eager to learn what more successful guys do. I rattled in one small buck last season, but my grinding just never feels right. And my biology background tells me that the smells ... the deer know they are fake or not from local deer, but I guess the rut causes them bucks to throw all caution to the wind.

I’m hoping to get a decent buck on what limited woodsmanship I’ve developed in two seasons.

longbowdave1

I’m just watching this post. As a new second year hunter I’m eager to learn what more successful guys do. I rattled in one small buck last season, but my grinding just never feels right. And my biology background tells me that the smells ... the deer know they are fake or not from local deer, but I guess the rut causes them bucks to throw all caution to the wind.

I’m hoping to get a decent buck on what limited woodsmanship I’ve developed in two seasons.
Good luck on your hunt's. Patience is the best weapon in your arsenal during the rut. A deer can come your way any time if day from any direction. Just about the time I'm getting impatient, a deer is right on top me from nowhere. Also bucks chasing can come crashing through like a freight train. Be ready at all times. Plan your hunt, and hunt your plan.

marshdawg

I like to rattle/grunt during the rut. Its the only time the bucks are interactive and it just makes if more fun for us. Some say it doesn't work well for them but where we hunt in SW Ga it is extremely effective although its usually the smaller bucks that come in to the rattling in my experience.

splatek

UAEC
Good luck on your hunt's. Patience is the best weapon in your arsenal during the rut. A deer can come your way any time if day from any direction. Just about the time I'm getting impatient, a deer is right on top me from nowhere. Also bucks chasing can come crashing through like a freight train. Be ready at all times. Plan your hunt, and hunt your plan.

@longbowdave1 thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

longbowdave1

I have a typical mixed bag of weather for Fall up here. Some cold, some wind, and some sunshine..looks enjoyable.Screenshot_20201029-091107_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20201029-091247_Samsung Internet.jpg

hambone76

I plan on bowhunting from the ground a little bit more with the rut approaching. Ole nanny doe should be a little bit more distracted while getting bumped around by the bucks.

longbowdave1

Meeting
I plan on bowhunting from the ground a little bit more with the rut approaching. Ole nanny doe should be a little bit more distracted while getting bumped around by the bucks.
Me too. Good luck !

longbowdave1

Well I'm al packed and ready to head out at 4am. Saturday and Sunday I'll be dealing with some very strong winds. Sat 58 and 10 to 25 mph winds. Sunday only a high of 35 with 35 mph winds, that is cold. I am anxious to check the cameras, and start the hunt. Goid luck to all!

hambone76

Well I'm al packed and ready to head out at 4am. Saturday and Sunday I'll be dealing with some very strong winds. Sat 58 and 10 to 25 mph winds. Sunday only a high of 35 with 35 mph winds, that is cold. I am anxious to check the cameras, and start the hunt. Goid luck to all!
Best of luck to you!

longbowdave1

Cold sit this morning, 28 and 20 mph wind in my face along the field edge. Had a flock k of 25 turkeys walk 30 yards behind me. No shot. I'll sit in the bottom this afternoon and try to catch a deer sneaking through....