Silent observer

longbowdave1

The wind has been crazy strong the last two days. Didn't hunt today, it was in the low 30s with steady 25mph winds gusting to 50mph. Still windy tomorrow but not as bad and warming to 50. Warming to mid 60s after that. Hope to get on some deer tomorrow, my lucky day of Nov 6th is getting closer....

JB in GA

Stay warm, that wind sounds cold. I believe Gene Wensel said he’s killed more bucks on Nov. 6th than any other day.

longbowdave1

Stay warm, that wind sounds cold. I believe Gene Wensel said he’s killed more bucks on Nov. 6th than any other day.
Yes sir. It's time to try and sit all day if possible. The rut should be kicking in any day now. Number of road kills on the highway is also a good indicator that the chasing has begun.

JB in GA

Good looking area, I love those scrub-hardwood areas. Hope to be looking at one myself come Sat. morning. What kind of warf bow are you shooting?

longbowdave1

I've been battling the wind and cold past few days. Deer have been scarce. Took out my frustrations last night on a skunk at 20 yards. Winds layed down some today, going to sit all day. My brother saw a decent buck chasing a doe across a cut field this morning. He went home now, flying solo for a few days. Can only get better.20201102_151349.jpg20201102_170227.jpg20201102_170642.jpg20201102_170642.jpg20201102_170252.jpg

longbowdave1

We both have fall turkey tags. We have been bumping a lot of turkeys, no shot yet. This morning 25 or so were roasted all around my stand. All heck broke loose when I walked in in the dark. Maybe they will be back.

JB in GA

Nice blind, I sure like those better than commercial pop-up blinds. Never liked sitting in a dark plastic bag. ?

longbowdave1

So after the last 3 days of hunting hard , I had not seen a single deer.i was fighting cold, wind, and now unseasonably warm temps. I know this is always a waiting game on this property. A good friend is hunting in another county and having quite a few encounters, not making it easy for me. I have been patient. Tonight at 4:40 pm a great buck came out into the open field in the seek mode, he was about 100 yards for me. At that distance I could see he was a big wide 8 or 10 with a largedrone. Maybe 3 or 4 years old. What a sight to see. I was sitting in my open blind, recurve in my lap admiring a fine buck. He stood for a minute or two, then heading off looking a date. First droptine buck I have ever seen in 40 years if deer hunting. Thank the Lord for a great hunt.

Last edited:

longbowdave1

There is a small speck in this picture running away. My buck of a lifetime....20201104_164350.jpg

longbowdave1

Right on cue, the action is picking up. Saw 3 deer already today. Including a 2 1/2 yrs old 8 point standing at 40 yda. Plus my brother greased a coyote with his long range bow at sunrise. .....

longbowdave1

My favorite day, nov 6th has arrived. We'll see what happens. Good luck to all this weekend.

longbowdave1

Twas hot today, got to 77. About 30 degrees above normal. Deer action slow. Had 1 doe come in at absolute last light. Back at it in the am.