Silver Lake WMA

Got drawn for the Quota Turkey Hunt at Silver Lake this past weekend. I could only stay for two days and had a newbie turkey hunter with me in out group application. First morning was a dud with no birds sounding off. The second morning we changed location and had three birds sound off. We got set up and called and the bird cut me off every time. With our set up I felt good however the bird circled around us to come from behind as this was obvious because he was gobbling on the ground. We quickly got up and moved away from him down the firebreak and turned around to face him. Once set up we called one time and he cut me off. I got silent and had a good set up for my partner to shoot his first bird. In less than fifteen minutes I saw the first movement and he was in some thick stuff and less than 15 yards from my partners gun. As I wait for the gun blast I am about forty yards away looking at about a 10 or 11 inch beard! The bird starts to slip off and I give a few soft calls and he goes into full strut. Still no shot! The bird is walking away from me and my buddy finally sees him but it was too late. We tried to catch up to him but the gig was up and he never would play with us again. Needless to say it was a great experience to watch and we have a new hooked turkey hunter! FYI out of 35 being drawn when we left Sunday afternoon only 5 signed in.

Ocmulgee44

They put in a lot of work trying to put that place back together again after the hurricane rearranged it. Glad you were able to make a good hunt.

From seeing it after storm to now shows the hardwork and effort DNR put in. Not enough credit is given to them. When I arrived on Friday to set up camper DNR official was onsite cutting grass in campground...Super nice fella.

Glenn

I have the quota hunt starting April 8th I believe. Deerhunted it the first time this year and killed two nice bucks running together. Kinda hoping the turkey hunt will go just as well.

7Mag Hunter

Got drawn for the Quota Turkey Hunt at Silver Lake this past weekend. I could only stay for two days and had a newbie turkey hunter with me in out group application. First morning was a dud with no birds sounding off. The second morning we changed location and had three birds sound off. We got set up and called and the bird cut me off every time. With our set up I felt good however the bird circled around us to come from behind as this was obvious because he was gobbling on the ground. We quickly got up and moved away from him down the firebreak and turned around to face him. Once set up we called one time and he cut me off. I got silent and had a good set up for my partner to shoot his first bird. In less than fifteen minutes I saw the first movement and he was in some thick stuff and less than 15 yards from my partners gun. As I wait for the gun blast I am about forty yards away looking at about a 10 or 11 inch beard! The bird starts to slip off and I give a few soft calls and he goes into full strut. Still no shot! The bird is walking away from me and my buddy finally sees him but it was too late. We tried to catch up to him but the gig was up and he never would play with us again. Needless to say it was a great experience to watch and we have a new hooked turkey hunter! FYI out of 35 being drawn when we left Sunday afternoon only 5 signed in.

Great morning !!!

I had similar situation years ago calling in a turkey for my SIL....Started by walking woods trail doing Lost hen call.....Gobbler boomed about 100 yds from us and we quickly set up, she was 20yds in front of me, and we were both full camo and i had \leaf suit on....Gobbler steadily approached us to about 40 yds and hung up in a thick area and circled us to our right...SIL had a blind spot and i watched the bird strut to 20 yds from her...she had no shot as the bird was down a small bank and behind several hardwood trees and was completely invisible to her....
5 mins later a did a few soft purrs and the bird moved directly to her and when he topped the bank she went BOOM !!!! 10 yd shot...completely ruined the beard !!!

Bummer but very exciting hunt..