Sin is a barometer of the hearts condition.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
This post is for believers and believers only. It's doesn't define non-believers, nor is it a judgement of any who are unsaved.

There's been a whole lot of posts lately here about sin: what constitutes it and what exactly IS, and ISN'T sin. I recently heard a very simple, yet very accurate statement on the subject. It is understood that true believers have been convicted of sin and know it when they see it. The statement is just this, " A Christian whose heart is truly dedicated to following Christ doesn't try to figure out just how close he can get to sin without crossing the line. He recognizes the line and runs in the opposite direction." If that doesn't define the state of a Christian's heart, I don't know what does.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
While it is a solid description and one we all hopefully strive to accomplish, we cannot in our own ability accomplish it. It takes the power of the Holy Spirit in us! The ‘washing’ does not end!

Titus 3
3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. 4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

SemperFiDawg

While it is a solid description and one we all hopefully strive to accomplish, we cannot in our own ability accomplish it. It takes the power of the Holy Spirit in us! The ‘washing’ does not end!

No doubt, but whether one wants a bath or to see how close to the pig stye they can get without falling in is a big indication as to where his heart is. That was my only point.

tell sackett

A constant awareness of who all sin is against can be quite helpful. Learning that lesson (continually I believe) is painful. Just ask David.

Madman

St. Paul makes a statement about sinners and calls himself the greatest of sinners. I believe that says a lot, do we really believe St. Paul was the chief of sinners, or perhaps he saw even the smallest of sinful thoughts as the greatest of sin.

Bring everything captive unto Christ.

SemperFiDawg

A constant awareness of who all sin is against can be quite helpful. Learning that lesson (continually I believe) is painful. Just ask David.

No doubt. Something along the lines of "Against you and you only have I sinned," David understood; he got "it".

SemperFiDawg

St. Paul makes a statement about sinners and calls himself the greatest of sinners. I believe that says a lot, do we really believe St. Paul was the chief of sinners, or perhaps he saw even the smallest of sinful thoughts as the greatest of sin.

Bring everything captive unto Christ.

I get where Paul is coming from. In my eyes my sin is greater than any other's. It's in intimately correct starting point to orient myself toward The Truth and gives me an accurate spatial orientation in all of my relationships: with both God vertically and horizontally toward my saved and unsaved brothers and sisters.

Artfuldodger

I would also add that not showing love in relation to the Separation of the Sheep and Goats depending on how we abide by that judgement, might also be a parameter of the condition of the heart.

In relation to this though, we still need to do it as a fruit of the Holy Spirit and not for self.

Latest posts