Since there are so many threads on this game and they take so many pig trails

Madsnooker

and I can't keep up. I don't want anyone to think I didn't want to reply to them about the game.

To recap and give my final thoughts on the game we have all waited on for so long.

As I've said from the start, the pups won fair and square. No excuses. OSU had their chances to end it and missed the FG. As far as the targeting, it could have been called either way and both have legitimate arguments. Joel Klatt explained it well. I said from the start, I'm glad they took the targeting away as I hate it. Again, as I said the night of the game if you go back and look, I'm glad it was overturned.

As far as the out of bounds call. I have changed my stance after further review of the rules. They rule does state its where the ball crosses the line if the carrier is airborne. But since his hand was on the ground in bounds, he was not airborne so that means the ball should be spotted where he reached it forward. The question now is, after his hand and foot came off the ground, he is now airborne so where was the ball at that point? I don't think anyone can definitively say but he may very well have got the line to gain.

It was a fantastic game and I'm proud of my Buckeyes and the way Day called the game.

Again, congrats and the pups are very deserving of the win!!!! 

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
and I can't keep up. I don't want anyone to think I didn't want to reply to them about the game.

To recap and give my final thoughts on the game we have all waited on for so long.

As I've said from the start, the pups won fair and square. No excuses. OSU had their chances to end it and missed the FG. As far as the targeting, it could have been called either way and both have legitimate arguments. Joel Klatt explained it well. I said from the start, I'm glad they took the targeting away as I hate it. Again, as I said the night of the game if you go back and look, I'm glad it was overturned.

As far as the out of bounds call. I have changed my stance after further review of the rules. They rule does state its where the ball crosses the line if the carrier is airborne. But since his hand was on the ground in bounds, he was not airborne so that means the ball should be spotted where he reached it forward. The question now is, after his hand and foot came off the ground, he is now airborne so where was the ball at that point? I don't think anyone can definitively say but he may very well have got the line to gain.

It was a fantastic game and I'm proud of my Buckeyes and the way Day called the game.

Again, congrats and the pups are very deserving of the win!!!! :cheers:

Fair enough and you were right all along about the caliber of your Bucks and we were bad RONG!. I'll never doubt you again. Until next year. :bounce:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
You're a class act snook, and should I ever see ya to know ya, first round is on me. It's all in good fun and was one of, if not the most, entertaining game I've ever watched. Best of luck to your Bucks next year that we may do it again.

bullgator

Good post Snook. As long as humans are officiating the game, there will be human errors………I wouldn’t want it any other way. Can you imagine a game where sensors and lasers, connected to a Dominion server are making the calls……no thanks.
Injuries are also part of the game. Teams at the playoff level should have the depth to cover those player loses. Lower level teams who lose a star may have a real drop off to the next man up. I only saw the last 5-10 minutes, but it looked to be a slug fest among heavyweights that went all 15 rounds.

Madsnooker

At some point when I'm up at camp I would love to have lunch with any of you that could. Not sure where any of yall ga boys live but I would drive north from Cordelle to make lunch work. I promise I won't wear any Buckeye gear but I can bring some hats for any of yall that want one!!!

Been tryng to meet up.with bullgator for awhile and i will make that work before to long. Im sure he cant wait for a monthly update in person. Lol

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Not sure what your point is in the OP about the out of bounds call but the player is not down if his hand hits the ground.

To quote google:
When is a player down in college football? In college football, a player is considered down when any part of their body other than their hands or feet touches the ground. In the NCAA, this rule stands regardless of whether player-to-player contact has occurred.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Not sure what your point is in the OP about the out of bounds call but the player is not down if his hand hits the ground.

To quote google:
When is a player down in college football? In college football, a player is considered down when any part of their body other than their hands or feet touches the ground. In the NCAA, this rule stands regardless of whether player-to-player contact has occurred.
Except as in regards to OOB. Any part of the body FEET included with OOB boundry is automatically OOB/dead ball.

The discrepancy in this case was Bowers elevated from the field of play BEFORE crossing the Line to Gain and the ball leaving the Field of Play prior to crossing said Line. However in this case Bowers maintained contact with the Field of Play via said hand continuing to maintain the live status of the ball/play until he contacted the sideline thus causing the Line to Gain to be achieved.

After much further review/discussion this is now the unanimously accepted interpretation. Whether intentionally and/or through conscious effort Bowers kept that hand down trough that we'll likely never know but regardless it was a remarkable feat of athleticism.

Madsnooker

The point was since his hand was down he was not airborne yet so the ball can be spotted at its most forward position at that moment even if already across the sideline. Once I understood that I changed my opinion that he definitely was short. Now I have no idea if he was or wasn't so I will side with reply booth.

weagle

Again, congrats and the pups are very deserving of the win!!!! :cheers:
Good summation. I hate the targeting rule as everyone knows, but that is a targeting call every time in any other game because it has turned into the "you hit the guy too hard and his head got hit" penalty, which is why it is a garbage rule. So it was not a targeting penalty, but it would have been called so in any other game. Same with the call at the end of the Michigan game.

There was no "incontrovertible evidence" to overturn the Bowers 4th down play. If anything the replay confirmed the right call on the field. Replay officials were duped by a bad graphic.

However neither of those caused the OSU kicker to shank that FG. He's probably 80% at that range. Also those last 3 play calls for OSU will haunt the coaches for years. Hindsight being 20/20.

My 2 favorite dogs, Bennett and Bowers made big plays in the end when it counted, and OSU was close but didn't close.